Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing sesame

Posted by shuffles 9B (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 13:43

I planted Afgan sesame. I had read somewhere to plant 25 seeds per inch. They have come up thick. I can't find what would be a good spacing. I have never seen the plants and have no idea how big they get. I am guessing they will need four inches or so. Does anyone have a recommendation? Experience with sesame?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing sesame

Hey,
I'm so excited someone else is growing sesame too. I grew this variety last year for the first time and the plants did really well. The plants are very narrow, tall and almost gangly kind of like a flax plant. If you're soils pretty good, then you might want to plant them six inches apart as their leaves can get pretty wide and might shade out the one next to it. I didn't take any pics of mine last year, but here's a google pic http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles10/sesame-seeds.htm

o

Where did you find the seed?

Larry

o

I got the seed at Baker Creek Heirloom. I was ordering upland rice and thought sesame worth a try. They are the only source I could find for small amounts of upland rice seed. They also have Seminole squash (pumpkin).

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Hierloom Seed

o

FWIW, I've grown sesame from raw, unhulled seed from the health food store. The chopped plant material is *supposed* to work against nematodes as well...

o

A question for all you sesame growers: I've heard from some people that they decided it's not worth it because the seed ripens in such small quantities at a time, so that they had to harvest a tiny bit every day or two, but those folks aren't in FL. Does that happen here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here