Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpetegardener

Kale Chip Recipe

stpetegardener
10 years ago

As promised here is my kale chip recipe that I served at Silvia's wonderful party. If you don't have all the ingredients or are feeling creative you can change almost any of them within reason. Hope you enjoy!

3 cloves garlic
1-2 tbs soy sauce
1/4 - 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 30 minutes
2 tbs siracha
pinch hot pepper flakes
1/4 - 1/2 cup dried onion/shallot flakes
3 - 4 limes
1 1/4 cup water
1 - 2 tsp miso

So first you get a whole bunch of kale, if from the store maybe 2-3 bunches. Rip into chip size & take out the stem. With your bare hands, drizzle kale with olive oil & juice of 1 lime (or any citrus) and firmly massage (squeeze) the kale for a few minutes, till it is all covered in oil, dark in color & soft. Let it sit while you make your sauce.

Drain the cashews and add them as well as all of the other ingredients into a blender & blend. Pour this sauce over your kale & massage it in so that each piece is coated with the sauce.

If you have a dehydrator, cover your try in plastic wrap and put on a flat layer of saucy kale, use as many trays as it takes to use all the kale. Set the temp at 115 and dehydrate for 6 hours or overnight.

If you do not have a dehydrator turn your oven on to it's lowest temperature, I have not done it this way so you will have to keep an eye on the kale to make sure it doesn't burn. One web site says to do it at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. Don't hesitate to pull the kale out & try it, if it's not done it will be a little soft and taste like raw broccoli.

Good luck! These are seriously addicting

Comments (9)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Derek!

Thank you for posting the recipe! Maybe someone else want to try it, it is awesome! I never had kale chips that good. I am going to make a batch and enjoy them again, I am sure that they are addictive but in the best way.:)
    Looking forward to Saturday!

Silvia

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

Derek and Aaron thank you for sharing your fantastic kale chip recipe....Where can i purchase the following ingredients ..nutritional yeast. siracha. and miso.. maxine

• whgille
    10 years ago

Maxine, I am going to look for the ingredients this weekend, I will let you know where I find them. Look in the oriental section of the supermarket for miso and siracha, the yeast probably the health food store or Whole Foods. And if you need kale, I have lots that I can share, if you need some send me an email...

Silvia

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

Made this recipe twice so far. It is great! Thanks much for it.

Had made kale chips before but only with salt and olive oil. Coincidentally, I had just seen Daphne Oz make a raw kale salad with olive oil, garlic and lemon. She, too, massaged the oil and kale till it was softer and darker.
    So... because I loved that massaged kale salad and because I love this kale chip sauce, I find that I am eating massaged kale salads with this sauce as a dressing. Yum, yum, yum,,,

• whgille
    10 years ago

Veronica, I am glad that you enjoyed the chips as much as we did, it is a great recipe! We eat a lot of kale and I use it instead of spinach, if you like spanakopita made with phyllo dough, with kale is so much better.

Kale salads are one of my favorites!, I made a kale salad with beets from the garden, lentils and goat cheese, delicious!

Silvia

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this recipe, Derek. I noticed how good the kale chips looked in the photos from the party.

Silvia, are those carrots in with the lentils?

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

Beautiful food, Silvia.

When I last made the kale chips I had some great looking collards so I chipped some of them, too. Ooooo... very, very bitter.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Writersblock, Derek is a very good cook! he also made fresh bread, Florida cranberry jelly and orange jam, all were delicious.
    I made the lentil salad and put on top of lightly sauteed kale, the recipe is very good.

Thank you Veronica, it is getting very hot for greens, I had to harvest all my red cabbage and put it in the fridge, the good thing is that I grew a small variety so 1 head at a time is very easy to eat, like in fish tacos or a side dish with pork.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: lentil salad

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, Silvia.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz