Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that plant!

Posted by TheTradition 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 14:05

This is growing outside of a hair salon in Casselberry, Florida. It has flowers and seed pods (note the bright red seeds), but no leaves right now (I'm assuming it'll leaf out soon).

What is this plant, and can I propogate it from the seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that plant!

Here's a closer view of the seed pods...

o

Looks like coral bean or cherokee bean (erythrina herbacea). I haven't grown it but the link below gives more info and says it's easy from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Erythrina herbacea

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 16:56

I have this plant and it is very easy to grow from seed. I started a new patch in the back yard by just throwing some seeds in the area that I wanted the plant to grow. Just make sure that you really want it where you plant it as a mature plant can be hard to move. They have tubers and the tubers can get pretty big. It's a great native plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here