Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of this vine

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 14:12

We bought this house last fall and suddenly this vine appeared growing like gang-busters. It is planted below this white wood structure so I guess the previous owner like it.

It is growing so fast its making me uneasy and I'm thinking of getting rid of it unless its something special.

photo null_zps8efde2f1.jpg
 photo null_zpsfc486346.jpg

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of this vine

• Posted by nova z9A Ocklawaha (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 15:40

Coral Vine?

o

It doesn't look like coral vine to me. Please take a long piece of it to your local agricultural center for ID.

o

Yes, it's coral vine, botanically known as Antigonon leptopus

o

Thank you, is this worthwhile? Its very aggressive and spreading all over the place.

Jane

o

I looked it up and it appears invasive. I'm going to dig it up.

Thanks for the ID.

Jane

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 7:24

Coral vine grows to about 40 ft but can be pruned to a smaller size. It has lovely pink flowers the bees love. So I think it is worth while as long as it's pruned. But you'd need some thing big like a fense to grow it on, not just a trellus or arbor.;o)

o

Older plants have huge, very tough tubers & the plants throw off TONS of viable seed. Roots will also form multiple smaller tubers. Good luck!

Speaking from personal experience here - love the pretty flowers - so do bees, but this thing is most definitely a pain!

o

Thanks for the info. I know I'll have trouble getting rid of this vine. Before we moved in we had painters doing the outside of the house. The painters cut the vine to the ground to paint. After moving in, we didn't know what it was and the gardener said it was a weed vine (have no idea how he knew as it was cut to the ground) and proceeded to soak it in Roundup.

Certainly didn't kill it as its happily climbing all over the ground and the wood structure.

Another project to tackle!

Jane

o

Cut the vine with enough left to dip the cut end in straight, undiluted RoundUp. That works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here