Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsvand5

Best tasting Peach variety for FL?

jsvand5
14 years ago

I bought a FL king from Lowes about 5 years ago and it has done pretty poorly for me. It seems to leaf out very late and has only put out a few flowers a year. None of the flowers have ever produced any fruit. I am looking for another tree to add to my yard so I may actually get a few peaches eventually. I would prefer a free stone type but I am really most concerned with getting the best flavor so cling stone would be ok as well. Any suggestions are appreciated. Places to purcase from would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Comments (18)

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Tropic Snow (White) and Tropic Beauty (yellow) are superb, even in zone 10. I think I have all of the low-chill Peaches, and they rarely disappoint us. I have Mid Pride, Eva's Pride, UF Beauty, UF Sun, Bonanza, May Pride and Flordaprince. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I have them tucked in all over the property. They are small, neat trees.

The dwarf Bonanzas are the worst producers (3' tall trees in pots on the patio), Tropic Snow and Tropic Beauty are the best. Also, SunRaycer Nectarines are great, early and really tasty! I've been picking them for 2 weeks now.

Now is a bad time to buy Peach/Pear/Plum/Apple trees. Planting in winter, in bare root form, is best.

My favorite source is Bay Laurel Nursery in California. I have had new, bare root trees from them, fruit the very first year! They sell grafted trees on your choice of rootstocks.

Florida King needs about 450 chill hours. That is an awfull lot for zone 9. I doubt you are getting half of that! Your tree would do better up North. Lowes often sells plants that are not suited for the local areas.

Please don't give up on Peaches! They are easy to grow and are very pretty in the landscape. You just need the right varieties for your zone.

Lisa

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Wow! Lisa... What GREAT info.. Thank you!!!

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I have been reading a lot about tropic snow and I think I am going to go with that one. I am on the very northern edge of zone 9. I think I get enough chill hours for the fl king. Definitely this year at least.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

I've grown 'tropic snow' in the past. They produce huge juicy white fleshed peaches. Jsvand5, it's worth growing.

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisa, do you know what rootstock does best in FL?

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Jsvand5, from your description of your Peach tree's leafing/blooming habits, it sure sounds like it is not getting enough chill. But, it might be ill as well. Do you prune it? Does it look healthy? Has it leafed out yet? Bloomed, with all the chill we got this winter? Most of my trees already are carrying lots of Peaches.

My Peaches/Nectarines are on various rootstocks. It depends on the soil you have, drainage, ability to water them, and the size you prefer. I have Nemagard roots for sandy, dry areas, Lovell for wetter spots, and Citation on the trees I want to keep small. My Citation rootstock trees have lived in containers for years. See Bay Laurel's page for detailed info on available rootstocks. Their trees come with two labels, one for the top of the tree, another for the roots. I find that very cool(G). But I'm easily amused!

I'd order early if you plan to get trees from Bay Laurel next winter/spring. They sell out fast! Check out the 3 way low-chill Peaches and the seedless Pomegranate!

Have fun!

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Rootstock info

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My FL king is about half way leafed out. Some branches are fully leafed and some are just starting. A few flowers just opened in the last week or so.

• ladymarmalade
    14 years ago

Can I grow these in pots? I would love to have a peach, but no more space in the yard!

• enduser
    14 years ago

Click on link called "taste, chill hours, etc." below find:
    1. Best tasting peach variety in FL listed on table 2.
    2. for chill hours: see table 1.
    3. info on rootstocks go here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS366

Here is a link that might be useful: taste, chill hours, etc.

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Ladymarmalade, yes, many low-chill Peaches can be grown in containers indefinately. I have 2 mature ones (Bonanza)that are only 3' tall, although most of my container grown ones were kept pruned to 5-6'. They fruit well in containers, as long as you keep them watered well in spring.

Check out Bay Laurel's pages to choose dwarfing rootstocks for container peaches. You will have to order this fall, for winter shipping. They have WONDERFUL, stout, healthy trees!

Enduser, thank you for the link! I wonder why they don't list SunRaycer nectarines? They have been terrific producers for us. I agree with the "best-tasting" chart 100%.

Lisa

• florida_will
    14 years ago

hmmm..i have a huge 12ft tall FlordaKing from HD too. had it for 3 yrs. now...got enough pretty flowers and a full head of leaves but not a fruit. im getting despondent with it ..i never hear glowing reviews about it either ...its too pretty to trash and my yard is shrinking
    (JAX)

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Reviving this wonderful thread. I am doing research and narrowing down my choices. Thanks again, Lisa, for the great information

• AmberSky
    14 years ago

I have Mid-Pride and Tropic Snow. I had Saturn but lost it. The Tropic Snow wins hands down. It produces better and the flavor...oh my! It's like peach flavored candy.

• keiki
    14 years ago

I recommend tropic beauty. It does really well for me in zone 10.

• linchat
    14 years ago

I did not know their was so many peach growers in Florida. I have a Florida Price I planted a few months ago, it is now my favorite tree in the yard. Love the foliage.

I am in South Florida (VERY EAST - on the coast), the weather here is not quite what it is if you got 10 miles west, it is warmer here.

Said TropicSnow requires 220 hours of frost, you said it did well for you in zone 10? Can it be container grown, and will it do well here?

Thanks!

• florida_will
    13 years ago

hey guys Ive got a GREAt update. after 4 -5 yrs my flordaking has really gone wild with peaches ! they arent ripe yet but i have high hopes. I bought a tropic snow and a midpride as backup

• adiel_g_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone know where to purchase the "UF Sun" variety of peach tree?

Thanks,
    Adiel

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Adiel;

This site has them, click on the link and scroll down to it.

Lou

Here is a link that might be useful: UF SUN