Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Big Box Rescue...Any idea what it is?

puglvr1
10 years ago

I rescued this from a Big Box store for $1...but NO id or tag was with it when I purchased it...Any clue?

Looks a lot like Chritsmas/Holiday Cactus...I have those and these are different...

Thanks so much!

Comments (17)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Different angle...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Lucky you! It is some type of cereus or epiphyllum (orchid cactus). It is very hard to know which one you have until it blooms. They come in all different colors - mostly pink, white or red. They flowers are beautiful and sometimes have a wonderful scent!

Carol in Jacksonville

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol Now I know how to research it and find out how to grow it properly...appreciate it! I sure hope it blooms for me next year...

Nancy

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Use some orchid fertilizer on it and it may bloom for you this year. :o)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katkin...I don't have any Orchid fertilizer...do you think an all purpose like Dyna gro 9-3-6 or Miracle Grow all purpose will work? Thanks!

Sorry for the double post :o(

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:50

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katkin...I don't have any Orchid fertilizer...do you think an all purpose like Dyna gro 9-3-6 or Miracle Grow all purpose will work? Thanks!

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Yes. Orchid fertilizer should have a smaller middle #. You can use either.

Jane

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jane!! Will fertilize it today...

10 years ago

Just for fun, and because I didn't know, I got out my Schultz Orchid Food Plant Food. It is a water-soluble with micronutrients. The NPK rating is 19-31-17. Maybe some have a higher phosphorous rating and some don't? I wonder what is up with that. I do see that I bought it at Target on clearance, LOL!

Carol

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's interesting Carol...hmmm! So many different fertilizers out there :o)...it can get confusing.

So...do you guys grow this like Christmas cactus...water well and let it dry somewhat before watering again...similar to Orchids? I don't have much luck with Orchids...I'm more of a Hoya grower. Thanks...

10 years ago

Nancy, that is exactly what I do. They are a succulent. But in the summer, I have mine in hanging baskets underneath trees and they get watered every time it rains. They are in clay pots so I don't think there is any chance of rot. I have never had a problem. This past winter, they all stayed out all winter long without any problem. I never brought them in.

Carol

• trini1trini
    10 years ago

Your plant will have orange flowers and is called Rhipsalis monacantha. Water sparingly. It blooms off and on year round.

10 years ago

Thank you, Trini. So I am wrong - it is not an epiphyllum at all. But is similar in growing culture.

I looked at photos on Google Images and it is going to be a beautiful plant.

I am so sorry for the misname.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Trini!! I can't wait to see mine bloom...I love the fact that its capable of blooming off and on all year :o)

No apologies necessary Carol...the leaves are very similar and seems hard to tell the differences... I happen to LOVE orange flowers. I used to have a Thanksgiving cactus with orange flowers...but sadly lost it. It will be nice to see this one bloom. Thanks for the link, those blooms are worth waiting for...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 11:35

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good call on the ID Trini...almost a year later since I posted on this thread and my very first open flower and many more buds forming...Rhipsalis monacantha it is!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

few more...

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

A related comment to the epithelium identification.

Many years ago we moved from San Diego to Maryland. My wife had many epis out west and wanted to bring them east with us. She took like on "leaf" ("frond", "thingy?") from each kind, stuck them in a large padded envelope and mailed them east. Each and every one of them made it and thrived on our rear screened porch for years - until the year of the unanticipated hard early frost, IIRC.

I suspect it shows, I'm no gardener.

PS As I recall, CA would not allowed us to take the "cuttings" out of the state.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm