Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Hope

Posted by tinael01 9B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 14:50

10 year old Nick, "Mom, I'm hungry."
Mom, "eat a banana, Nick."
Nick, "I don't want a banana."
Mom, "well okay then, eat an orange or some baby carrots, but eat something healthy."
Nick,"are there any apples?"
Mom,"no, we don't have any apples right now."
Nick, "Awwww. How about on my apple tree? Are there any apples on my apple tree?"
Mom, "Yes, Nck, but they aren't ripe yet."
Nick, "COOL! Lets go see them."

10 minutes later.

Nick, "Mom, I'm hungry."

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Hope

"Mom, I'm hungry."

o

Neat

o

How cool is that!

~dianne

o

:-D Awesome. I only got one last year, and wouldn'tyou knwo this year the trees all bloomed at different times? Grrr....Not nearly enough chill hours this year anyway. It only frosted for 3 hours 2 nights here. *sigh*

Always next year for me. Congrats on your little apple.

Barbie

o

Thanks! I got 3 apples on the Anna - and my apple trees bloomed at different times too. I am not sure why it likes this spot - but it does. the other apple tree is not doing as good. I live on the coast in the Tampa area so I didn't even get frost that I remember. Just some luck I guess.

o

I had no clue apples grew here! Wow!
Lori

o

I took this pic of some flowers blooming yesterday. Can I help with its pollination? How long does an apple take to form? I bought this "mini-tree" 2 yrs ago and this is its 1st few blooms. Any advice regarding fertilizing, watering, etc will be greatly appreciated. I live in Central FL east coast.
Photobucket

o

Wow - whatever you are doing it's right. Those are beautiful! Hey I got apples and the blooms were scraggly and tiny compared to your so no doubt these will do fine. What kind of apple is it? My anna pollinated by itself without any other trees blooming next to it.

o

Wow, your apples are blooming now? Mine bloomed in February and I'm up in the Panhandle. (Normally they bloom in March, but the warm weather started them early.)

Anyway, if your tree has been in the ground for two years already, give it a good deep watering 1-2x per week when there's no significant rain. Apply a good fruit tree fertilizer in early spring and again in June. There's a lot more detail in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: IFAS - Apple Care

o

Tinael01, I'm not sure what kind of apples they are but the pic on the label showed green fruits. I'm just talking to the plant every morn, telling her to grow for her mama.

Thanks L in FL, will check link & read carefully.

fern

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here