Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluewater22000

Broccoli, broccoli and more broccoli!

bluewater22000
10 years ago

Ok, so I read on here about how everyone pulls up their broccoli after so long... usually February when they get tired of it. I planted mine as the University of Florida guide said for south Florida... in September. I planted quite a bit (8'x15' or so). We had the first heads in mid-December. Last year's were normal to large size, this years were smaller. I've let it keep growing, rather than pull it up. It is now mid-April. My daughter and I have had broccoli as a side dish for four nights per week since December, consistently. If you've grown broccoli, you know the subsequent shoots get progressively smaller. I've found that if I cut them lower below the next leaves down, they are getting larger. It seems that if the florette grows from a larger stem, it is also larger. I picked enough for dinner for two nights today, and I know there is a lot growing for tomorrow.

Has anyone else done this? How long until will it keep going? Before the heat kills the plants? Some of them are hitting close to 3.5 feet tall, and where I've missed some of the flowers, some seeds have fallen and have new plants.

I've taken to calling this the miracle of the broccoli because of how much I've been getting...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!