Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushroom Compost

Posted by dclegg 9a Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 15:28

I live in The Villages (30 Miles South of Ocala). Where would I find mushroom compost? My garden really needs help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushroom Compost

My local Lowes sells it so yours probably does too.

o

Check around your area for the places that sell mulch in bulk. They usually have mushroom compost too.

o

Monterey Mushroom in Apopka offers bulk mushroom compost for sale at bargain prices. You can now only purchase it on Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. The price is still $5 for a pickup truck or trailer load. The gal also recommended calling first to make sure they have some.

Monterey Mushrooms Inc. security gate # is 407-905-4000 ext. 4022

o

Why mushroom compost in your garden is a bad idea. Local compost is made from straw, cotton seed hulls, poultry and gypsum. The addition of lime, urea and heat accelerates the composting process.

Mushroom compost nutrient levels are not high enough to grow a good crop of plants (N=0.7% , P= 0.3% , K= 0.3% ). By comparison most manure in bags have N=1%, P=1%, K=1% (which is 3 times more nutrients than mushroom compost).

Mushroom compost has high PH value which is not a good amendment for North Florida soils.

Furthermore, to control insects (on the manure), the following chemicals are alternatively sprayed: methoprene, Dimlin, cyromazine, diflubenzuron and Diazanon.

To minimize mushroom crop infections benomyl, thiabendazole and chlorothalonil are applied.

Notwithstanding the poor nutrient levels, do you really want toxic chemicals in your garden?

o

what kind of compose would you recommend for a new starting vegetable garden in Deltona Fl.
My neighbour used mushroom compose and they were pleased with the results.
Would you recommend using same?

o

I've used mushroom compost from Monterey Mushroom farms many, many times. The only reason I no longer get it is because I no longer have a truck. That said, compost is not fertilzer, it is a soil conditioner. You will still need to fertilze. It is best to get a soil sample done after adding the compost to see if you need to further ammend it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here