Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Philodendron transplant?

Posted by jkrup44 9B FL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 15:37

Hi I have a rental house (that used to be our primary home) that has a very large Tree Philodendron (Philodendron bipinnatifidum). I absolutely love this plant, but it has gotten extremely large (about 7ft). For years it stood upright, but it has now started to lay over and stick out into the walkway. There are several smaller new plants at the base that are about 1-2 ft. tall. I would love to take this to my new house. What should I do? Can I cut it's trunk and re-plant it (it has several thick aerial roots coming out of the trunk that go into the ground)? Should I try to split off one of the smaller ones and scoop it up with it's subterranean roots? Since the largest one is beginning to be a problem, I would most like to take that one because I have plenty of room for it in my new yard. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Philodendron transplant?

Cut it, toss it in the trash, buy a new one at any garden center, WalMart, Target, you name it. Very common plant and very inexpensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here