Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

been awol for awhile,but back with some pics

hester_2009
11 years ago

Hi All,

Lots to catch up on after having cataract surgery on both eyes (a week apart). The upside is that I now see incredible colors (for those of you who haven't had this done, it is amazing). the downside is the wrinkles and cobwebs now visible! (wrinkles on me, cobwebs in the house)

And it may be that some of my gardens will need work now that I truly see them!

Anyhow, here are a few pics as I've been inspired today finally getting on GW.

Before surgery, I ripped out some old, leggy Indian Hawthorn here and put in some ti and begonias and ginger.

Here's a close up of one of the ti

I also got a few of these sherbert ti and have some in the ground and one in a pot.

My first trip back to the nursery and I found this two tone pink desert rose..yummy

It goes well with the white one I've had for awhile.

I think this lavender antherium is pretty and I'm looking for more.

That's it for today. Thanks for looking,

Hester

Comments (12)

• tinael01
    11 years ago

Very nice, Hester, and glad to have you back!

• marcia_m
    11 years ago

I'm glad to hear the cataract procedures went well, Hester (ignore both wrinkles and cobwebs!). The new planting looks good and I love that bright ti. The begonia cuttings you shared with me are starting to root, so I'll pot them up soon. Thanks again.
    Marcia

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Good to hear your surgery went well and glad you are back. Some day I hope to make a trip over to see your garden. :o)

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that your eyes are doing good! Those are some lovely pictures! I see a hint of your bottlebrush trees flowers in the first pic and judging by it's truck it must be a very mature tree. Any chances of seeing a picture of the full tree? It's one of my favorites but I've had no luck in growing one myself!

Kara

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kara,
    I found an old photo of that bottlebrush tree - don't look at the beginnings of the gardens! It is all so different now.
    I am lucky to have three huge bottlebrush trees here - my subdivision also has many and I just love them.
    I grew one at my old house and found it slow going - after two years, it was much the same size as when I bought it but bloomed beautifully. Keep trying! They are worth it.
    Hester

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I SEEEEEE, said the blind man. How could you gardens look so stunning BEFORE double cataract surgery?! I can't imagine what they are going to look like now ;-)

Tom

• User
    11 years ago

as usual....incredible garden!

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    11 years ago

So glad you had the surgery, Hester. Now you can fully appreciate the garden you've so generously pictured for us in various threads.

I especially like the new ti with the hot pink edges - it's a stunner.

June

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Hester,

Welcome back! I was starting to wonder if you were ok since I hadn't seen you post in awhile. Well, you came back with a big bang. Your garden is gorgeous! Wow! I always love seeing your pictures because there are 10,000 things to look at. Glad you are recovering from surgery so well.

Here's to a successful outcome - eyes and garden!

Carol in Jacksonville

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your kind words! I love posting pics for folks who appreciate it all. Wish I lived in a neighborhood with garden fanatics!
    Still walking around in amazement this morning - everything so crisp, colorful and clear. I had lived with cataracts and blurry vision for so long, I had no idea how bad it was!
    Life is sweet....
    Hester

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Hester, how is your lavender anthurium doing? I just got a pink one and I am not sure exactly what to do with it. Do you keep yours in full shade? How did you pot it up - in what kind of soil mix? And how often do you water it?

I potted mine in a pine bark, perlite and peat mix. I know they like to stay moist but not soggy wet so I wanted something that would drain fast. I put it in full shade today but wonder if it can get early morning or late afternoon sun? Or will any sun at all burn the leaves?

Thanks for all your wisdom,
    Carol

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Carol,
    The anthurium is still in the same pot and flowering away. It is in full shade, however the sun gets to it late in the day and it seems ok.
    I use Lambert's potting soil from HD - since Walmart stopped carrying the Expert mix as has been written about on other posts.
    The plant does like to be fed when the leaves get sort of yellow. I'm not the best organized feeder of plants (just to feed myself where I'm an expert!) I keep it moist.
    I'm looking to find more or this color so I can try them in the ground in a large group - so far, no luck.
    I'm sure you will do fine - it's a neat plant!
    Hester