Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomas12_gw

Tropic Beauty peach tree

thomas12
13 years ago

I bought a peach tree labeled Tropic Beauty. It has been ripening for a couple of days now in Orlando, even though it was not supposed to until May-June. Is it possible that it was mislabeled? It is very delicious, though. Does anyone else have a Tropic Beauty?

Comments (17)

• therealdeal
    13 years ago

It is not mislabeled. It is a nice low chill variety. I was thinking about one myself. they are good. Good luck with it.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    12 years ago

I picked a couple of Tropic Beauties this evening. They usually ripen in May, so they're just a little ahead of schedule.

• thomas12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, happy_fl_gardener! I thought it may have been a FlordaPrince due to its color, size and early ripening.

• keiki
    12 years ago

I have 2 tropic beauty's and have been eating and sharing for a few weeks now. Tomorrow I will be freezing and baking. Great producer of wonderful fruit.

• mrs_tlc
    12 years ago

Nice! Enjoy them! We just planted UF Sun; Florida Prince; and Sun Best (nectarine) about a month ago. We bought them at ECHO but they told us not to let them fruit this year.

• debbydd_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

This is my second year of bearing fruit with the Tropical Beauty.The tree is 3 years old) It is the end of May and are ripening. when I bought my peach tree, I was told to pinch all the blossoms off the first year to produce a good crop the next year. They are a very sweet and juicy peach.

• kelleym1
    12 years ago

I was looking at these last weekend at HD. How big does it get and what are its water requirements? Like a lot of HD plants the tags were gone.

• saldut
    12 years ago

I read where the Tropic Prince was the peach with the least chill-hours required, more suited for the further-south areas.... does this Tropic Beauty take it's place ? UF is working on developing new varities all the time......now even Publix has "Florida Peaches" on sale which is new, mind-boggling !! sally

• DeepSouthMia
    9 years ago

i live in miami and i am having trouble with my tropical beauty, the first grow and friut season was good and productive but after the last winter my tree has struggled and looks sickly. i have given it friut tree furtilizer from home depot and it still looks tired and new leaf growth is less than minimal. its been a wet summer so i'm sure water is not the problem. it's not dried out but kinda looks that way. leafs are withered and falling off, it has no bright green leaves on it at all and last friuting season it gave me only "one" peach.... :-( what can i do to turn things around!!! "please give advice".

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

I think you're too far south and we had such a warm winter last year, too. I live in Stuart, right on the coast and the local edibles nursery told me to forget it when I asked about any of the low-chill stone fruit. They're low-chill, not no-chill and if my area is too warm (except for way out west), for sure Miami is.

We certainly didn't have more than about ten chill hours here last winter, so you can't have had more than that, and those trees need an absolute minimum of 100, preferably more, just to survive.

You might look into the Ceylon peach, which has the lowest chill hours of anything peachy, or go with the flow and look for something more tropical. There's plenty of stuff you can grow in Miami that won't grow even this far north.

Also, big box stores are your very worst option for any kind of fruit tree. They sell what the distributor has in stock, not what is suitable for your area. You must do your own research and not rely on the fact that they're in the corral at HD or Lowes to make your choice.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 13:07

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Meant to say that the first year you probably benefited from whatever chilling it got at the nursery, which is why it's been all downhill since then.

However, when I was a kid there was a guy who grew regular old apples (way before the development of low-chill varieties) in Miami and got some fruit, too, but nobody every understood just how.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

"nobody every understood just how."

Wowee! Very interesting....

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Anomolistic Results in Miami

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Ah, the Coral Castle. I haven't been there in forever.

I wish I could remember the guy's name. He grew all sorts of northern fruit, including raspberries. He got a fair amount of publicity in the Herald and the old Miami News, but I doubt that stuff from back then is available in their archives. This would be in the early to mid 70s. In the photos the trees were big enough that he couldn't have been bringing in fruiting transplants as a hoax.

Of course, in the interviews he never gave away any secrets. In recent years I've wondered if he didn't just twig to the mysore raspberry before the rest of the state did.

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    9 years ago

We're in Stuart also, Rocky Point area. My Fla Prince is just a year in the ground so no fruit this year. Got mine from trees & More in Palm City (shameless advertisement)When we were in Royal Palm our peach tree grew like crazy, only the fruit flies were a major pest that far south.
    Hoping for the best this year. Have done real well with the Loquat tree.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Yeah, Stuart/Hobe Sound is about the best area anywhere for loquat, I think. They do very well out here on the island, too. Don't seem to care about chill hours the way peaches, etc. do.

My first place out here was a rental which had had a hugely productive loquat on patio that the association made the owners cut down because it was taller than the fence. :(

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Tropic Beauty peach tree, good luck with it ! I am on the SW coast, just below Venice and researched these low chill hour trees extensively before buying and planting two 3 years ago. I decided on the Tropic Beauty and never regretted it. Give it some time, it's a new tree, will probably take a few years before it gets it seasons squared away, as mine did.
    I had to give mine away after the critters were attacking in droves, already had many fruit trees, decided I didn't need the extra stress from kamikaze bird attacks, bigger nets to cover growing tree each year,etc,
    Can only say that I understand the many critters,..one of the tastiest peaches I've sampled in a long time. Trees were growing like weeds also,..they certainly gravitated to this area of South Florida. Relax and enjoy, you made a good choice !