Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bleeding heart question

Posted by natives_and_veggies 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 16:10

I have a bleeding heart vine that was here when we bought the house. It's the white with red one. And it's happy and blooming now, in the shade. It's one of the few vines in my yard that is not aggressive.
So I took a cutting and rooted it in water. I'm thinking about putting it on a fence that is also partially shaded, but also gets some sun and gets reflected heat off of his guest house. This is an area that a previous neighbor let go to hell. We were constantly fighting all kinds of weedy vines there. Now that the new neighbor has cleaned up his side, I need to clean up my side and plant something pretty there.
What does bleeding heart like? Will it do well in sun? Will it do too well? I don't want to plant something that will go crazy.
And BTW, it rooted in water in a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bleeding heart question

Maybe the white one is different, but I have the dark red one (actually maroon) and it is invasive to the nth degree. But anyway, it doesn't mind some shade. I've had it on the north side of the house and it only gets morning sun, does great with that. It runs roots all over the place, sometimes 10 feet out and puts up news plants which I DON'T WANT. The good side to the plant is it is beautiful when blooming and it attracts hummingbirds.

o
RE: bleeding heart question

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 19:30

I have the white and red one and it gets a little morning sun then bright light the rest of the day. It get water 2 x's a week. It died back from the cold winters we had, but has come back from the roots. It usually looses most of the leaves in the winter then leafs out again in the spring. Hope that helps. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here