Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis3_gw

USF Plant Fair

sis3
12 years ago

Just a reminder that the USF Spring Plant Festival is this Saturday and Sunday. A friend has asked me to go with her for her first visit there. Anyone else planning to go?

Here is a link that might be useful: USF Spring Plant Festival 2012

Comments (12)

• crueltyfre
    12 years ago

I'll be there around 9, waiting in line with friends.
    Lori

• sis3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Lori. We will be there at about 10am. I will look out for you although I have no idea how I would recognize you! I will probably be wearing a bright blue tee with a tropical design on it and denim bermuda shorts. Please say "hi" if you see us.

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

How was it? We are planning on going Sunday - looking for some small semi-shade plants for our front yard/sidewalk
    area. Didn't really think about looking for them there or we would have gone today. Will try to be there at 10.

Usually buy my butterfly plants there - I will have to keep telling myself -"NO more butterfly plants!" I have no more room! Unless I can convince my hubs to put them in the new area- actually looking for dwarf powderpuff and maybe some Weigela or maye some Variegated Gingers.

• sis3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was BUSY! Plants were being shipped out by the carload by 10.30am! There was a good selection and I am sure they will have restocked for today! Nice atmosphere. My friend bought about 40 plants.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Tina and I stopped by on the way back from Silvia's party yesterday. We didn't get there until about 4:00 P.M. but they still had quite a selection, pretty darn hot though and as sunny as it is today I'd be living in the shade....

Tom

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

We did go and it was hard to know if they were well stocked or not. The one place I always hit is the one with all the flowering plants - Color----something. They had lots of empty bench area so I am thinking they sold out of alot. I didn't go for that anyways so onward we went.

Ended up buying some different things - a Dwarf Bottlebrush, a Dwarf Tibouchina, and a Dwarf Jasmine. All are to go in the area we are relandscaping. Also bought 2 Rosemary plants that will also go out in the same area. We still need lots more - a big area to fill.

• sis3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Colorfield Farms! I think my friend was responsible for emptying some of those benches!

• crueltyfre
    12 years ago

I ran into Veronica there, but that's the only GWer I saw. I got a lot, but was quite annoyed that Colorfield had raised it prices in the two weeks since Tropiflora, no more buy 5 get one free. They are now officially higher $ than Lowe's!
    As I stood in line I passed out flyers about the Tampa swap next week...so hopefully some people bought lots of new stuff and need to get rid of lots of old stuff, lol.
    Lori

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

They were 6 for $30 yesterday, I think or $6 a piece. I didn't get anything there but looked for an Agastache (for a friend) that I had bought a couple years ago. Saw a similiar one but it had little fragrance so I didn't get it. Their plants needed watering and probably looked better Saturday.

I have to admit that I have always gotten quality plants from them and have had some in my garden for at least 3 years now.

• sis3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, we paid $30 for 6 plants, or $6 each on Saturday. I thought that was the same price as last year.

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

I really enjoyed it and felt that it was VERY busy! So glad for the vendors.

Found a purple Blue-eyed grass! Who knew! Also got a creamy white/green croton called Lucious(?). Went specifically to get my little green/white Thai caladiums, two more pots.

A black sapote... Since papayas are no longer dead to me, I thought I could give this one the same treatment. Large pot wheeled into the makeshift green house for the winter.

Love the gal that has the own root roses for just $6, though I now have bought all her varieties. Did get Marie d'Orleans.

It was great to see Lori, too.

Veronica

• laura1
    12 years ago

Lori forgot that she saw me...long enough to stick a flyer in my bag. I do admit that I rarely make it to the forum these days but some of you know me.
    I was helping at the succulent society booth and they were selling the heck out of dessert roses. People were buying a lot of stuff.
    Hope to get over to Lori's swap...c-ya.