Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation plant for front of house

Posted by Marge12345 FL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 16:22

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and Naples, FL and so glad I found both.

I have lot of questions but will start with just one :).

We moved into a new home which has arbecola (sp) variegated in the front. Our home is very light color not quite white stucco. I do not like the yellowish/light green of the plants in front of the house.

Any suggestions? I have been reading about Green Island Ficus which does not have invasive roots as the other ficus. I love its dark, glossy leaves. Also the landscaper suggested Wax Jasmine or Carissa Holly. The plantings will be kept short up to 3' so not to interfere with the windows.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation plant for front of house

1 - What direction does the front of your house face?
2 - Sun or shade? (Any trees to provide shade?)

o

Our house faces West and gets sun from 12 noon on. No trees in front only small plants. It is a narrow strip of planting area in front of our house about 4 feet wide from our house foundation to pavers for the driveway and parking area.
The arbecola is doing well but I do not like the variegation colors playing off our house. The front of our house looks so blah and washed out. Dark green plants would look so much better. That's why I was thinking Green Island Ficus. I need something short or at least something that I can trim so our windows don't get covered.
Something 3 feet or so.

Am fearful of ficus next to the foundation even if it is a "slow grower" and not like the other ficus plants. But love its looks.

Really need some guidance.

Thanks!

o

I like a lot of color rather than just green, so you may not be up for what I like, but since your area is not that large, what about copper plant or crotons? Both warm colors that would tone well with an off-white, assuming it has warm rather than cool undertones.

o

Good suggestion but what I did this winter was to plant small annuals in front of the foundation plants. This worked well with the arboricola when I planted pink/red impatients this winter. Gave it lots of color.
Still looking for ideas to use dark green plants, must be the Irish in me ;).

o

I did good ole boxwood under my front Windows. But they barely get any sun. If I had your sun, I would have done Indian Hawthorn.

o

Carissa is a nice dark green if you don't mind the thorns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here