Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Camphor Tree Dying (Photo)

There is a camphor tree in the common area across the lake in our neighborhood. It has been a beautiful tree and provided nice shade for the small fishing platform. I have read how they don't like wet feet/roots, but this one has been happy as a clam right at the edge of the lake for years. All of a sudden, large sections are dying. It was green all winter long so this is very recent. I wonder what could be causing it? We had a colder-than-normal winter; Are camphor trees not cold-tolerant? If not the cold, I wonder what is killing it?

Comments (19)

• watermelon7
    15 years ago

Well, as said, they don't like their feet wet. The water probably got to it. A fungus, maybe? If your willing to pay the extra money, hire someone to look at it up close and fix the problem.

If the tree is done, try planting something else there that loves water and is fast - rapid growing. I would suggest weeping willow, as it is one of the fastest growing plants in the world and LOVES water.

Another choice is a Hybrid Poplar. These things can withstand much water and can grow 6 feet a year, in the right condition. Hybrid Poplar is also a rapid growing tree.

Or, how about some banana plants? They don't usually get as high as your tree in the picture, but they can withstand water, and look nice in the right conditions, plus create delicious edible fruit!

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

The Camphor Tree is in the same family as Florida Bay (Lauraceae) which is being killed by either an insect or virus. I can't remember which. It is also attacking Avocado trees.

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

You can check the story on laurel wilt for more info

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurel wilt

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bodiggly, Thanks for the lead. You are exactly right - that is exactly what it has! The disease is called "Laurel Wilt" and is caused by a fungus (Raffaelea sp.) that stops the flow of water in host trees, causing the leaves to wilt. The fungus is carried into host trees by a non-native insect, the redbay ambrosia beetle (Xyleborus glabratus). How sad.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I have reported the incidence of Laurel Wilt to the Florida
    Division of Plant Industry as requested in the article linked above by coffeemom. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them. They have a lot of special procedures for disposal to prevent spread but as this tree is on the common property on the lake, the Association will be in charge. I gave the Association's contact information to the FDoPI. ;)

• cjc45
    15 years ago

Aren't camphor trees considered invasive?

Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, in Florida they are. The one in the picture was not in fact planted by anyone - it was a "volunteer". See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ of Florida - Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants

Original Author
    15 years ago

Reply received from Forest Entomologist at Florida DACS Division of Forestry:

"Thanks for the notification about these trees. We are not documenting new finds of laurel wilt within counties that have already had the disease for some time (such as Duval), but your diligence in reporting is appreciated nonetheless. The symptoms are certainly consistent with the way laurel wilt has been observed to manifest itself on camphor. Camphor seems to have more resistance to the disease than redbay and in some cases the trees recover. Thanks again and very nice photographs."

• nativemel
    15 years ago

My sister is in Middleburg and over the past year has lost nearly every bay tree on her 3 acres due to that same problem. It's really bad up there.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry. What a shame. Same as this camphor tree. It was absolutely lovely, invasive or not, and it will be missed.

• Sue Cobb
    7 years ago

I live in Crawfordville, FL, and our Camphor trees died right after Hurricane Hermine. Could the salt air/wind from St. Marks cause it?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Sue, sorry to hear about your trees. Are you referring to St. Marks Wildlife Refuge?

The camphor tree across the lake (pictured above ) has completely recovered. No sign remains from whatever it suffered in 2009. Amazing!

Carol in Jacksonville

Original Author
    7 years ago

Photo taken today, almost eight years later. Tree has completely recovered! I would not have expected it.

Carol in Jacksonville

• SusieQsie_Fla
    7 years ago

Carol, that's so cool!

I love that you reported on the tree and it's recovery.

Susie

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

I never saw this post, but I would have said just to leave it alone and it would be fine. Camphor trees are tough as nails. So glad to see it so beautiful.

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

What a happy ending to that beautiful tree!! Thanks for updating on its full recovery :o)

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked puglvr1
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I happened to glance over at yonder camphor tree... WHAT?!

These pictures were taken today, May 15, 2017:

I wonder if this is a function of drought? (I can't remember if we had drought conditions in 2009 but we sure do now.)

Based on history, I'm guessing it will recover.

(And why two shades of brown? Hmmm... Timing?...)

Carol

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    6 years ago

that is interesting to see, hopefully it will recover again!

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa