Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How often can you fertilize tomato with water-soluble fertilizer?

Silvia, Tom and All the Experts,

How frequently should you fertilize tomato plants with water-soluble fertilizer?

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (15)

• amberroses
    13 years ago

Well, look at what the label tells you to do. If you want to fertilize twice as frequently as they recommend then make a solution 1/2 as strong as they say. If you want to fertilizer 4 times as frequently then make a solution 1/4 as strong. Probably you should just water it once in a while though without the fertilizer. I do it once a week or whenever I can remember anyway.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well here is the hilarious thing: at Scotts'/Miracle Gro's own product website under "Details & Usage" it actually says, "How often to apply: Product can be used every 7-14 days as desired." Well, it begs the question: how often does the tomato "desire"?! (Certainly they don't mean how often I desire?!) LOL!

Carol

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Some undefined variables. In the ground or containers? And, if in containers what is the potting mix? What OTHER fertilizer did you add to the soil or potting mix? If a potting mix what fertilizer did it already have?

Soil or mix drainage will define the frequency such that you don't drown the plants. My philosophy is that 1/4 strength is always safer than what they recommend for liquid fertilizers, usually applied about twice as frequently IF you have good drainage. BUT, a lot depends on what else you've done in the way of additional fertilizers.

Tom

Original Author
    13 years ago

I know, I know! So the bottom line is, I don't know. Too funny - I've got myself laughing. I think it will end up being trial and error.

Carol

• amberroses
    13 years ago

Yeah, I can't believe they care about your desire.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Amber, I can't stop laughing!!

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Okay you two, I didn't go there, are you pulling an Erica Jong on me?

:-)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom, are you implying that this discussion could all be symbolic? I'll have to think about that.

By the way, the tomatoes are your famous special tomatoes (Everglads); they are in the ground (not containers); they are in rich soil with some Black Cow stirred into the soil before planting; they are in full sun from about noon through sunset (7-8 hours per day), and the soil drains fairly quickly.

Carol

• tomncath
    13 years ago

But, how BIG are they ;-)

Original Author
    13 years ago

4-5 inches or a foot, depending upon your ruler, LOL!

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Handgrenades and horseshoes ;-)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Just waiting on Lou now to take it to the next level...

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Oh Lou! Your audience is calling!

~dianne

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

I use well rotted chicken manure but finding a well rotted chicken and waiting for it to poop is the hard part.
    I can't use black cow manure because all the cows out in the pasture are brown.
    I tried the topsy turvy method with my pots up-side-down but it made the dang maters hard to pick.
    Now I bonsai my tomato plants to keep them short, that way those ugly red globes don't grow on them and everything stays nice and green.

Lou

• saldut
    13 years ago

Well, I'll chime in with a straight face, MOL..... my 'maters are all in pots, and need water at least twice a day, I mix up some MG in a bucket and pour some into each bucket I have next to each plant, I keep that water-bucket there so all I have to do is dip out some water and not drag the hose all over the yard.. so essentially I am giving each 'mater some liquid fertilizer each time I water...I won't even speculate at what strength but the water is blue, from the MG... most of my 'maters are getting pretty big, they are from last year's planting Tom brought me.... but they are still setting fruit so I keep them going even tho' they are pot-bound now.....I speculate that the only thing that keeps them going is the liquid fert., by now, because any other nutrient in the potting-mix has been long-gone..... works for me.... sally