Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbgator85

Tree in flowerbed idea

Tbgator85
11 years ago

Good afternoon all.

Im looking to gather some suggestions on what kind tree/flowering tree would look decent in the middle of the flower bed in the attached picture(between the window and walkway).

A few notes:

1) I am planning to use Indian Hawthornes as foundation bushes

2) Use natural colored pine park as ground cover

3) Eventually paining my house grayish with white accents

Please help this newbie out :D and thank you!

Comments (10)

• User
    11 years ago

No tree that close is my suggestion. Smaller palm maybe.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Maybe... MAYBE a Crape Myrtle... if you keep it trimmed but if I'm guessing right from the shadows (it looks more like sunset than sunrise), this area faces toward the west? A crape myrtle would survive, but it would be the quickest to drop it's leaves and one of the last to start leafing out in spring on the western side of the house. If anything, the freeze burned growth will help you in keeping it trimmed back.

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Would a bird of paradise work? The larger bird of paradise looks nice near a house.

• Tbgator85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the front of the house does face the west. I had thought about a Crape Myrtle but along the way I forgot the name and could never recover it from memory! Funny, my office building has some nice bird of paraide at the entry way, didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for the feedback so far.

This post was edited by Tbgator85 on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 8:48

• thetradition
    11 years ago

There are a number of small flowering trees that could be used in that space. The link contains lots of good ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.leugardens.org/images/pdfs/FLOWERING%20TREES-2.pdf

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

I've always been partial to Jerusalem Thorn - they stay small & often look like big bonsai.They have yellow flowers - something w/ white flowers might be even prettier, I think.

You might consider a shrub - many can be trimmed up to look like small trees.

Check out Floridata's Plant Tag List - scroll down to see it....

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata.com

• Tbgator85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess my next question would be where to obtain a plant like this. I have a few nurseries around me but none of them really deal with anything more than the standard fare.

Do are there any nurseries within a reasonable distance I can contract or even pick up and plant myself?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

If you're in the Tampa area, then yeah, there are actually lots of nurseries and growers in your area, just do a search in google with your zipcode and it should list all the nurseries around you.

You could probably even pick up something that fits the criteria (and be fairly unique) at the USF plant sale this weekend. Just make sure you fully explain your situation with things like which direction the area faces (west) and what kind of light it tends to get. A good vendor will help you figure out just what would do best there. You could even print out the above picture of your area so they can get a better idea of what you're talking about.

Best of luck!

• User
    11 years ago

Have two fifteen foot J.T. From seed.......

• Tbgator85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finished!

Went with a White Crepe Myrtle and some Snow White Indian Hawthornes for foundation

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County