Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foreverlad

My Tropical Sun Bed

foreverlad
10 years ago

Hey all. Late February I started a thread, asking for tips or ideas for better water retention in one of my intended garden beds. That thread can be found at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0222293819720.html

That was posted February 23rd. It's 2 months later, and I thought I'd start a new thread showing the changes that've been made.

First, a small photo history (click any photo to embiggen)

July 8th, 2012

Empty back fence that would eventually become my tropical bed.

September 24th, 2012

Tissue Cultured plants were installed the end of July. After a few months, they're doing okay, but I didn't give the bed the kind of attention it deserved, and didn't have nearly enough plants to make a real dent in appearances.

February 21st, 2013

Having taken the winter off from any real gardening, I was starting garden prep. This was one of the last photos before it all got torn up.

March 14, 2013

Amended the bed heavily with compost, manures, leaves and additional things to help retain water and invigorate a mostly dead soil. Planted the bones of the garden, just had to wait for the warm weather to kick in.

April 16th, 2013

Started adding annuals and perennials to the front border to add more color and strengthen the liriope border. 2 good weeks of heat, water and fertilizer pushed the plants to life.

April 25th, 2013

9 days later. Few plants moved from here to there. Brought some of the elephant ears closer to the front, added a few more touches to the front border. A lot of the Musa basjoo have begun pupping.

And lastly, a poor quality, overly long video provides a "quick" tour of some of my garden.

http://youtu.be/eECgEY_Zoww

It'll take a few months for everything to truly fill in. I'm hoping to see the Alocasia and Colocasia grow taller and fill in, and with a little luck, those Musa Basjoo till be towering over the fence by the end of the summer.

Aside from installing an irrigation system and supplementing the leaf-cover with mulch, the only major change I'm planning is to redistribute the Canna. When I replanted they were little more than rhizomes, and I underestimated their growth and expansion. Some are too close to the pupping bananas, others are simply too tightly packed. With some cautious shoveling and careful footing, I should be able to get them organized.

Other than that, it's a hot and humid waiting game. =)

Comments (7)

• Truscifi
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful! And like a LOT of work!

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I've been redoing a bed between two palm clumps but is in VERY dense shade so moving most of my tropical ferns calatheas there . I'm keeping everything in pots though lol
    Already run into a problem as the main shade is a tree that went deciduous after flowering lol Both the elephant and crocodile ferns got some burn Love those pots lol gary

• nessz79_10a
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love the transformation!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I love the looks of it and can't wait to see it as it fills in. Makes me wish I lived just a hour further south so I could do this sort of thing. But the winters in my neck of the woods would kill off all those bananas. Or at least take them to the ground.

It also makes me a little envious of people who have shade in their yards.

• whgille
    10 years ago

I like the end result, keep up the good job!

Silvia

• foreverlad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Ness and Silvia

Gary, I didn't show it in the video, but I've got this beautiful location on the side of the house that gets a ton of shade from an oak. I'm growing shell ginger, spathiphyllum, medinilla, leopard plant, and a few others over there. I can't fathom the damage to the plants if that oak came down or was bare this time of year. You're right though, pots can be an absolute lifesaver when conditions change.

Tru, Lot of work, but well worth it. Hard to believe I used to be so ignorant about gardening. I think if you can learn to grow tropicals in Florida sand, you can accomplish almost anything in a garden. Biased, I know, but so many little factors need to be accounted for here, and I think those factors help make all of us better gardeners in the long run.

Leekle, The semi-micro climates around here drive me nuts. It's really amazing what 10-50 miles can do to our growing environments. I didn't quite know what to think of this yard. The sunniest parts of the tropical bed were nearly uninhabitable before. Everything was bleached and drained of life. Couldn't even get weeds. Underneath the two oaks, grass (or weeds) only really grew toward the end of summer when there was enough rain and light breaking through the canopy. I've mostly adapted to the yard's strengths and weaknesses.

My biggest contention with the yard will always be the highway right behind it. While the winds probably help keep the yard a little warmer in the winter and a touch cooler in Summer, moisture seems to just get sucked right out of the soil, be it full sun or full shade. I've probably laid down 60 bags of leaves I've managed to come across so far. Here's hoping for 60 more! =)

• foreverlad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey everyone, it's been about a month since my last photos, so I figured it was time for an update on my Tropical Bed. Click photos for larger versions.

There's so many comparison photos I'd love to show, but I figured I'd just post recent pics now, and post a link to an open image gallery later with all the before and afters.

All the Musa basjoo have (at least) doubled in size since planting them. Currently, each and every one of them have between 4 and 8 pups. There's probably close to 60 banana plants in the bed now, up from the original 13.

Blue Hawaii(an) Colocasia

One of my Illustris Colocasia, over 5' now

4 Alocasia Portora in this bed. They've nearly tripled in height since March, fast approaching 6 feet.

Some of the red Canna have topped out at 7'6".

May 24th

Compared to April 5th

You hear people say bananas, canna and elephant ears can grow like weeds, but I'm astounded every day by how quickly and widely everything has grown. It's been 2 months since I planted everything, and it's denser and lusher than anything I've ever done over the last year.

I'm expecting at least another 4' of growth on the basjoos. When they start overtaking the canna, the bed should start approaching the kind of image I had in my head when I first planted everything.

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

Mike

This post was edited by Foreverlad on Fri, May 24, 13 at 16:14