o
edible ginger...

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 17:19

Photobucket googled it and said it doesn't bloom much....nice! Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible ginger...

This is beautiful! I lost mine in our second soft freeze. Did you have yours under protection?

~dianne

o

Those blossoms are prettier than the variegated ornamental ginger I used to grow,when I lived in S.Florida.I potted a root of fresh edible ginger a couple of weeks ago,any idea how long it takes to sprout?Many thanks.

o

bought this in a pot from hd. tag listed it as "edible ginger." nothing else, rest of the gingers in the hd were ornamental. had to rely on google for my info. showed the same blooms. have split it up in three locations and the side yard with the most sun is where it bloomed. not the best location, mixed in with a bunch of Xanadu's. cold hardy here.

o

My 'super market' ginger was damaged by the cold snap, too. But when I dumped the pot, there was good, viable ginger root growing - the cold damaged parts were at or near the surface.
I 'planted' and lost a dozen pieces of ginger before I discovered one doesn't 'plant' ginger; one simply makes a slight depression in the soil and sets the piece of ginger root in it. Keep it moist and in a week or two, you will see signs of growth. Being this far north, I plant in pots in order to move them to shelter during cold snaps.

o

Many thanks,I will give that method a try.

o

Cora,

Thank you for the planting technique. Glad to be educated! Is the same method used for Variegated Shell Ginger (Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata')? Does shell ginger have a root/tuber similar to the edible kind? I have only purchased growing, potted plants - never just a root - so I don't know.

Carol in Jax

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 9:59

All gingers have a tuber like that, and I read that all are edible, but not all taste good. ;o)

o

From the number of gingers I've lost, I'm guessing ALL gingers must require little or no soil over the initial planting. My 'planted' ones just rotted. OTH, the ones I tossed on the compost, thrived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here