Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniquetoo

Where to buy fruit trees?

uniquetoo
10 years ago

My daughter is wanting some fruit trees. I'm pretty good with ornamentals, but have little personal experience with fruit trees. And she is in the group of the worlds worst gardeners! I'm certain it will get no care once I put it in the ground. (And yes, I will plant it. If I gave it to her in the pot it would stay there.)
I haven't decided what kind of tree to get so I'm looking for ideas. At this time I'm considering a loquat or a citrus. I'd love to put in a peach tree, how much care would they require? She doesn't like figs so they are out. Anything that needs protection from the weather is out. The easier care the better. I did plant a loquat several years ago and it did well with no extra care, but I did have really good soil.

And I don't know of a reputable nursery that sells fruit trees. I know HD and L's both have them, but I question the quality of their trees. Anyone have great things to say about their trees? Any suggestions on nurseries in the Tampa/Wesley Chapel area?

So suggestions please. What kind and where?

Comments (10)

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

Peaches need quite a bit of care if you want a good crop.

Loquats grow wild in some places and I see them fruiting in places like shopping center parking lots where I know they get little or no care. As long as you water it until it gets established (which you will have to do with any fruit tree) I think it will be fine with "benign neglect."

Sorry, I have no information on nurseries, since I am hundreds of miles away.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

I agree, peaches are too much work, ( critters like no other fruit tree ), plus our last 2 warm winters are the last straw. Do mango trees exist in your area ? If so they may be a consideration. Once you get past the first few winters they are about as trouble free a fruit tree as there is in Florida. Just hang C9 Xmass tree lights on them for the few below 38 degree nights that arise in Dec - Feb. After 5 years in the ground you can forget the lights.
    Citrus trees may not be a good idea with the recent outbreak of citrus greening.
    Just my opinion, can't help with a nursey in your area as I shop for my fruit trees in Homestead. Good luck.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Something that fruits and requires little care and tolerant to cold with pretty flowers is a Pineapple Guava. It is more shrub than tree though. I have 2 that didn't lose any leaves over the winter and now flowering. No extra care!

• rednofl
    10 years ago

If you like berry fruits a Mulberry tree / bush is as close to care free as you can get..
    There is no cure for citrus greening but using a systemic insecticide will keep your trees from getting the bug.

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

Kerby's nursery in Brandon has a ton of fruit trees. Probably the best nursery in the Tampa area, IMO.

Stephanie

• nel5397
    10 years ago

Muscadine grapes would be a good choice. The wild ones grow on every other tree and fence in FL and nobody takes care of them.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Not sure how far you are from St. Petersburg...there's a nice nursery there called Jene's Tropicals...

• flatwoods_farm
    10 years ago

I can recommend D's Trees on Taylor road in Seffner- right around the corner from Kerby's

• TampaBull
    10 years ago

I second Dee's Trees.
    Nice guy, and great prices. It's a home-grown nursery.

Kerby's staff are nice, and their prices for regular plants are good.
    But their fruit trees/plants are kind of expensive... especially their dwarf trees which have gone up this year.

• uniquetoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are great! Thanks for all the responses! You gave me options I would never have considered and a couple of nurseries that aren't too far.
    So peaches are out...too much trouble. Mangos don't last long here. We get too many freezes for them to survive long term.
    Pineapple guava sounds really interesting. I did some reading on it last night. Sure wish I could try one before I invest in a plant, but I see they don't fruit here until fall. (Others rave about Surinam Cherries and I think they are AWFUL!)
    I'll have to do some more research on mulberries. I love berries of all kinds. I don't think she cares if it is a tree or bush, as long as it produces edible fruit.
    I know I like loquats and they seem to be pretty easy. We had a tree at our old house that we never did anything to and it wasn't messy either.
    Seffner/Brandon isn't far. I'll have to check out Dee's and Kerby's. I would really like to find a good retail nursery.
    Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it.