Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginia_2009

What's Happening to my tomatoes?

ginia_2009
11 years ago

Hi,

I live in North Florida - Panama City. My Early Girls are ripening but the tomatoes are hard as rocks - and not very tastey. They're planted in buckets. I also noticed that some are starting to rot on the bottom, Any ideas why this may be happening? Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.

Comments (9)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Sounds like you have what is called Blossom End Rot. I think it happens from a lack of calcium. I googled it for you. Check out the item that starts with blossom end rot and calcium by www. caes.uga.edu. This should help you out.

• ginia_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much. Would that also cause them to be hard?

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

I don't really have anything to add to what Zackey said, except that I had trouble finding the article that Zackey was referring to, so I linked another one below. I hope that helps you out.

Mostly I wanted to say "hi" - I am also in Panama City!

Here is a link that might be useful: IFAS - Blossom End Rot

• zzackey
    11 years ago

That was a good article! The writer was our county extension agent when we live in Vero Beach. He was great. Whenever I do research I keep finding articles he has written. I wish he was our county agent up here! I don't know what causes the fruit to be hard.

• ebackman
    11 years ago

I am in Tampa, but for the 1st 2 years of gardening, the same thing would happen to my tomatoes. The newspaper had an article about blossom end rot- suggested adding calcium &epsom salt to the soil- a couple of Tablespoons every few weeks- that has solved my problem.

• ginia_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback and the articles. I am thoroughly confused, however. I added about 1/2 cup of gypsum to my 5 gal. bucket before I planted. Was that not enough? Do I need to add a little every few weeks? What does the epsom salts do? I'm also still wondering what makes them so hard. Thanks again for everything.

• new2gardenfl
    11 years ago

Irregular watering can "lock up" the calcium in your soil making it unavailable to the plants.

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

ginia 2009,
    Epsom Salts is magnesium sulfide. It contains magnesium (10 percent) and sulfur (13 percent), Epsom Salts is a fast-acting mineral fertilizer that you can apply on the soil in a granular form or dissolve it in water and spray on leaves as a foliar spray. Tomatoes, peppers, and roses love this stuff.

Another good source of magnesium is Dolomite Lime, which is high in calcium (46 percent) and magnesium (38 percent), This also will add magnesium to the soil as you are using the lime to adjust the PH of your soil. Use mixed into the soil usually prior to planting.

Your tomatoes are hard possibly due to the improper balance of the different minerals in your soil.

• ginia_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to try adding some of these things. I'm thinking my system of watering may also be wrong. I've been using the sprinkler & have read that this is a no-no.
    Thanks again everybody.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living