Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Happening to my tomatoes?

Posted by ginia_2009 8 (vbietenholz@bellsouth.net) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 17:28

Hi,

I live in North Florida - Panama City. My Early Girls are ripening but the tomatoes are hard as rocks - and not very tastey. They're planted in buckets. I also noticed that some are starting to rot on the bottom, Any ideas why this may be happening? Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Happening to my tomatoes?

Sounds like you have what is called Blossom End Rot. I think it happens from a lack of calcium. I googled it for you. Check out the item that starts with blossom end rot and calcium by www. caes.uga.edu. This should help you out.

o

Thanks very much. Would that also cause them to be hard?

o

I don't really have anything to add to what Zackey said, except that I had trouble finding the article that Zackey was referring to, so I linked another one below. I hope that helps you out.

Mostly I wanted to say "hi" - I am also in Panama City!

Here is a link that might be useful: IFAS - Blossom End Rot

o

That was a good article! The writer was our county extension agent when we live in Vero Beach. He was great. Whenever I do research I keep finding articles he has written. I wish he was our county agent up here! I don't know what causes the fruit to be hard.

o

I am in Tampa, but for the 1st 2 years of gardening, the same thing would happen to my tomatoes. The newspaper had an article about blossom end rot- suggested adding calcium &epsom salt to the soil- a couple of Tablespoons every few weeks- that has solved my problem.

o

Thank you all for the feedback and the articles. I am thoroughly confused, however. I added about 1/2 cup of gypsum to my 5 gal. bucket before I planted. Was that not enough? Do I need to add a little every few weeks? What does the epsom salts do? I'm also still wondering what makes them so hard. Thanks again for everything.

o

Irregular watering can "lock up" the calcium in your soil making it unavailable to the plants.

o

ginia 2009,
Epsom Salts is magnesium sulfide. It contains magnesium (10 percent) and sulfur (13 percent), Epsom Salts is a fast-acting mineral fertilizer that you can apply on the soil in a granular form or dissolve it in water and spray on leaves as a foliar spray. Tomatoes, peppers, and roses love this stuff.

Another good source of magnesium is Dolomite Lime, which is high in calcium (46 percent) and magnesium (38 percent), This also will add magnesium to the soil as you are using the lime to adjust the PH of your soil. Use mixed into the soil usually prior to planting.

Your tomatoes are hard possibly due to the improper balance of the different minerals in your soil.

o

I'm going to try adding some of these things. I'm thinking my system of watering may also be wrong. I've been using the sprinkler & have read that this is a no-no.
Thanks again everybody.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here