Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billbrandi

Kiwi Fruit - Male vs. Female

billbrandi
13 years ago

I understand that to grow Kiwi fruit you need a male and female plant. Lowe's has some in stock that are labeled as Arctic/cold hardy so I thought I would try it out on a trellis that is vacant now.

But, unless it is on the tag (which it is not) how do you tell which plant is male and which is female?

If I were a wise guy I would say that the male can be identified because he is holding the remote. But I won't say that because I really do want to know the answer and do not want anyone getting mad at me.

Anyon else bought Kiwi plants from Lowe's?

Comments (25)

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is what the tag looks like. Does that mean it is male, female or both?????:

• amberroses
    13 years ago

You can't really tell yet, but there should be two vines in the pot, male and female.

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A-ha....that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. No one at Lowe's knew the answer.

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

I bought one at wall mart I thought I was just getting an extra plant.LOL silly me
    That is good to know.
    Thanx,
    Carmen

• bamboo_rabbit
    13 years ago

Two weeks ago at Lowes I bought the same male female Arctic Kiwi. This week they had Issiah kiwi male and female in a pot so bought those as well. In two weeks the one plant has twined 2/3 of the way up the rope to reach the wire of it's new trellis home, it's mate is alive and well but not growing as fast. It seemed one of the plants was large and the other small in the Arctic pots and the Issiah was the same way....I think the larger plant is the male....thought I read somewhere the males were more robust?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I bought some there but they don't say artic. I think they must be the Issiah then. I will have to find the tag. There are two in the pot. One of mine is more robust than the other as well. I haven't decided if I am going to grow them in a large pot or in the ground.

• bamboo_rabbit
    13 years ago

Sultry,

The Issiah had the name on the tag...and the tag showed a small fuzzless green kiwi. The Arctic tag did not have a variety name listed but said Arctic on the pot and the tag picture showed a fuzzy brown kiwi. But of course Lowes plant tags can't be trusted at all lol.

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the label on the plastic pot said "Arctic." I was at the Lowe's on Park Blvd. in Pinellas Park near the Belcher intersection.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

What do you know? I found the tag and nada...so looked on the pot and it said Artic LOL! Okay I must be blind...

• katkin_gw
    13 years ago

Has anyone had luck getting fruit from them? I planted them once and they died. If I can get fruit I would try again. But am I too far south?

• dromanowski
    12 years ago

I just bought an Artic Kiwi plant at my local Lowe's and have no idea if it is a male or a female. Anyone know how I can tell so I can get the mate plant. I din't realize when I bought it that I need a male / female.

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Usually when you buy them there is both in the pot, male and female. Do you have two plants in your pot, if so you already have both. I don't think there is a way to tell until they fruit.

• jdepce_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have planted kiwis. At first they just seemed to sit and wait for their roots to get going. When they did, look out!! I read that they can grow tree-like up to 30 feet depending on how you prune them and with support. It can be 4-6 years for fruit and if it's not cold weather tolerant, it may not have any. But, the trellis is just beautiful with shiny green leaves that I think will drop in the winter and come back in spring. There a keeper even just for the leaves.

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

I have 4 planted this spring and they are doing well. One plant raced up 6 feet to the first wire of their new trellis home so cut it off so it would branch out. Two great side branches started and grew a foot long and then a &^$%#^*^$ deer bit the vine in two about 3 feet above the ground. They had been eating the leaves on them now and then. It was the last straw.....it was either start shooting the deer or buy fence......I bought fence lol. I surrounded not only the entire kiwi trellis area with the fence I went around the adjacent four rows of blackberries as well. It was hot work this week but it is up and now the plants will be able to grow unmolested. Not sure if they will ever fruit but I love to experiment.

• PRO
    Secisa Int'l Ltda. Inc.
    12 years ago

I planted a Kiwi vine in a pot in my deck to grow in a trellis. It was slow growing when I started to fertilize with the pulp of my morning fruit juice of vegetables (Kale green, red beets, parsnip, brocolis, aspargus, apple, etc, etc) and all of a sudden it raced up the trellis with huge leaves, beautiful green and robust. This was during the summer, and when I traveled in Early October for 4 days, there was a lot of rain and wind. When I returned all the leaves had fallen and were brownish... it was basically only the vine... I was devasted and I am trying to recuperate my plant. There are some leaves back but very soft (not stead as they were) and as if it weak and dying.

Even when they were growing fast and beautiful, there was always some leaves getting brown on the borders like if burnt by cold (not possible) or bitten by caterpillar...

Does anyone know what could have happened and what can I do? It is in a large pot (is it not appropriate?), humid. HELP!!!

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

worry not, mine did the same thing. Kiwi fruit vines lose their leaves in fall and go dormant. We should see an explosion of new growth in the spring (and hopefully some fruit).

http://landscaping.about.com/od/vineplants1/p/kiwis.htm

• Charlie
    11 years ago

I have four artic kiwi vines that I initially planted in one area and left them there for about five years - no blooms or fruit. Later I moved them to a better location in an effort to improve their performance. They have been in this location now for about four years. I built a nice trellis for them this year and I have great growth out of all plants. This year I again had no blooms or fruit. Will they ever produce?

• starryrider
    11 years ago

I went to a nursery in Gainesville that grows various fruits. She said she was never able to get kiwi to bloom and produce fruit. I figure if the professionals can't I won't bother to try.

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I started this thread over a year ago and...no fruit. Mine grew just fine last summer, lost its foliage in the winter and went dormant, then never came out of it.

Will give it another month and if no new foliage I'm pulling it out of the ground. Think I can return it to Lowes? :)

• User
    11 years ago

my "arctic kiwi...nice vine, no fruit, luckily i got it half price a couple of years ago, comes back each year.......Lowes....m

• Megan R
    8 years ago

I also just bought from Lowes - the pot actually has three plants in total. I know there is a male and female (according to the label) - the vines are already growing really well and are all intertwined, so my question is - do I have to untangle them all and separate them, planting them apart with enough room for growth so they can grow stronger or do they all just get planted together as they are now, all tangled??? Its a bit confusing and I cannot find the answer anywhere :)

• katkin_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

GH, why do you think you won't get fruit? I'd like to know the answer of the question of untangling them too.

• rickwendy341
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Let me start by saying I live near Florida's panhandle where it seldom gets below freezing more than a week or two each year. I've recently bought kiwi purchased from Lowe's for a second time.. The first time, the kiwi grew quickly and had fruit after the 3rd year.. The vines are very robust and will quickly consume a trellis or fence area and after about 5 years they actually got to the point that they were too large and in the way so I had to remove them. I never bothered separating the vines, but made sure the majority of them had room to run. A couple of sturdy poles with wire, rope or clothes line placed 15 to 20 ft apart makes a satisfactory home for the vines. Our soil here isn't the best (mostly clay) so I kept the young plants watered well until they were established and let Mother Nature take care of the watering after that. They are a hardy and fast growing vine in the summer so give some thought to where you plant them. I recently bought more plants and planted them where they won't be in the way this time.

• User
    8 years ago

LOL, I planted mine several years ago in NEW JERSEY. They are super robust growers, actually, I had to rip mine out as they were taking over my border fence and growing into the neighbor's yard..., vigorously. They need space and a strong fence that can support luxuriant vines. I kind of miss them, and may try again in a different location. Oh, they are still coming up from the roots. Be warned if you have a smaller garden!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals