Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shuffles_gw

Sunday afternoon

shuffles_gw
11 years ago

In spite of my age, I work more than full time. What can be better than a Sunday afternoon in the garden with a day as beautiful as today? I was just outside checking out my pole beans - to be picked first time tomorrow. There is a bicolor sunflower plant next to them (it was a volunteer and beautiful enough that I saved some seeds) that has been picked clean by the flock of gold finches that discovered our garden this year. This plant has had an enormous infection of white aphids - and I mean the worst I have ever seen. I thought about getting rid of that plant, thinking the aphids might migrate to our beans. However, some brilliant red lady bugs had made that their home (usually we have only ornage ones), so I decided to leave it. Well, this evening I was there chedking my beans and a tiny warbler came for dinner. It was not more than three feet away and I watched that baby, I guess, eat aphids off the bottom of the sunflower leaves. After a while, the parents came and chased it away. These warblers have been coming here for a lot of winters. As near as I can tell, they are Pine Warblers - maybe not. Never saw a baby before.
A very satisfying way to end an otherwise so-so week. Who needs Hollywood?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio