Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetradition

Is corn always this &^@*#)ing hard????

thetradition
10 years ago

Last fall I made a nice small plot for some corn. Amended the soil with lots of compost and turned it real deep. Banded some 10-10-10 in and planted the seeds. Well, the &^@*#)ing sandhill cranes immediately swooped in and dug up all my seeds!

So, I replanted and covered the plot with some bait netting I had laying around, and that kept the critters out. Once I thought the corn was big enough, I removed the cover. You can probably see this coming... the corn wasn't big enough and the critters dug my nice little plants up again.

So, I did it again with a temporary garden fence setup that finally kept the critters at bay. But by this time, it was really too late in the fall. I ended up with three pretty poor corn plants, and only two small ears (but they were delicious).

So, having learned from my mistakes, I was set to conquer corn cultivation this spring! I set up my little plot, thoroughly amending the soil and banding fertilizer and planting the seeds (this time, with sufficient critter protection). Only about half germinated despite getting water every morning and every night. So, I did some succession planting and changed the garden fence to a different type that I hoped would allow more sunlight to the seedlings. You can probably see this coming... the new fence material didn't deter some sort of critter like the old material did, and SOMETHING DUG UP ALL MY &^@*#)ING CORN!

Is corn always this &^@*#)ing hard????

Comments (6)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz