Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark purple salvias

Posted by aroidgardener 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 18:39

Does anyone grow a dark purple salvia that does well in zone 9b or higher, besides the black and blue Salvia?

I've looked at them online, but I hate when a plant is just listed as zone 9 because it still might not make it here in Florida.

Thanks
Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark purple salvias

I think Purple Majesty might just work for you. I had it some years ago and liked it.

It is said to be good from zones 7 through 10. It did well for me here in zone 9 B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Majesty

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 16:04

Hi Tina,

I have this salvia and like it a lot. It is just getting going for me but I've had it in the past and loved it. It is pretty tall- maybe 3-5 feet and sprawly, but graceful, colorful and beautiful. Bees love it. Looks great in a butterfly garden.

Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia indigo spires

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 18:02

I love Salvia also, and tried to find seed sources, Park seems to have a good selection so I ordered 4 kinds, well, two came, but they are out of the others.. not many Seed places have much of a selection it seems... wonder why ? sally

o

Thanks Tom and Anna. Will see if I can find either of these at the USF plant sale next weekend.

o

Hi Tina, I am in Tampa and I think I have it, I will try to make a picture tomorrow and I have a rooted cuting

Helen

o

Helen,
Thanks!! Let me know. I should have something to trade. I can make a list.

o

Tina, see if this is what you are looking for

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That looks like Wendy's Wish to me, Mocropot. It is hardy and easy to grow from cuttings. It is supposedly good for hummingbirds, which is why I got it.

It isn't very purple though...

o

Thanks for the pics Mocropot. I am actually looking for dark purple, the darker the better. Something like the link below. That particular one is up to zone 8 only though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia May Night

o

Tom123 thank you for the name, when I purchased it the seller stated it was salvia. It is good for hummingbirds, I see them every AM
Tina, you are correct it is not purple compare to your picture

Sorry, I could not help

o

I had May Night last year and it did not do well for me. I think it needs to be deadheaded regularly for it to do well. I have read a number of positive reports for it, however.

It is supposed to be good from zones 5 to 9.

o

I bought 2 Wendy's Wish at Lowes...both now have mosiac virus but probably won't pull them...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here