Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Clivia in bloom

tomncath
11 years ago

Thanks again Mark, every time I think it's done more blooms open. And thank you Maxine for taking such good care of it until it got to me :-)

Tom

Comments (21)

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

That looks just lovely. I am mad at mine, they haven't bloomed yet and don't show any sign of a bud coming along.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Kat, I planted 3 mature plants, 5 years ago. They bloomed after 2 years in the ground, skipped blooming the third and last year and are blooming this year. Have patience!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Beautiful Tom...I love the orange color, thanks for posting! I will have to find one of those...

• vegasqueen
    11 years ago

Tom.. wow!!! Its beautiful..still waiting on mine to bloom..

• c9pilot
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!
    When I moved here I read that you couldn't grow clivia here, and was sorely disappointed until I saw some doing just fine in a friend's garden. But it's really nice to see some blooms!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I had given Maxine a five gallon bucket full of plumeria sticks for Silvia's swap the previous year and I think she kept this plant in Mark's original container inside the five gallon bucket. When I got it home a few months ago I never took it out of the five gallon bucket and I'm really wondering if this "sheltering" has anything to do with it blooming now. So, if that is the case I have to give much of the credit to Maxine ;-)

Tom

• vegasqueen
    11 years ago

Hi Tom... the clivia has been in the bucket since Silvia's party...I placed it in it as a reminder to return your bucket....nice to know that sheltering it works....mine is going into a 5 gallon bucket tomorrow...

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Mine is blooming, too. I have four and the two that get morning sun are blooming. I am surprised by the hardiness, winter doesn't seem to phase them. Your plant is beautiful.

• cocoabeachlorax
    11 years ago

morningloree: where are you in Florida ? I've got a ton of "juvenile" clivia outside now, but none have bloomed yet. I'm thinking they're just too young to produce, but worried that it's simply too warm here in coastal central brevard...

I just adore them for their foliage too, which is a good thing since I may never see them bloom.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I was so enthralled with the flowering here that I had to try my hand at hand-pollinating these flowers, and now I have a couple of seed pods....What now? How long til the pods mature? Will they be viable in our June heat and humidity? What do I do with the seeds? Should I attempt germination inside in the AC under grow lights? Help!

Tom

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

No expert here, but I've heard it can take up to a full year for the seeds to develop.

I started some seeds two years ago in the house, no lights, just in the spring with a mean indoor temperature of 78 degrees and they sprouted. I'm trying to start some outside right now, but no signs of life yet, I'll keep you posted.

• User
    10 years ago

Not sure on the seed end of it, I get my newbies from divisions. So far this year........only ONE Lubber! Where you ask....? It's favorite.....Clivia! It is head-less as we speak..........:)

• rene09
    10 years ago

Mine are blooming now, no pics, I am away from home!!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No pups so far Mark, I keep looking though.

CBL, did you buy the seeds or get them from pods too? If the pods take a year to develop I guess I don't have to be too concerned about our heat and humidity right now. How long did it take your seeds to germinate?

I had a pod on my Cherries Jubilee allamanda so for fun when the pod popped open I soaked the seeds overnight and put them in a moist paper towel inside an open Ziploc kept out on the porch in the shade, it's been a month now and I noted yesterday that six of the ten seeds have germinated. I know divisions and cuttings are frequently easier but really enjoy growing plants from seed :-)

Tom

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Tom, the seeds were purchased from e bay. I've purchased a total of 3 times with no distinct difference in appearance either time. The first two times I sowed in soil on the window sill. The first time around I had about 80 % success, the second time about 40 % success with ultimately 100 % demise due to my own lack of careful attention, and the third time, well, I'm still waiting on them to show me their stuff.

I've never had one from the plant itself, until now. Ours went into bloom (interestingly enough the bloom opened the day our 14 year old Sheltie passed over) in February. I self pollinated and got just one seed pod. It is still shiny and green and looks just about the way it did once it formed, no different. I'll let you know what happens as it progresses. I'm making sure to keep up weakly weekly feeding the plant since I'm assuming the seed needs nutrition.

Your zip loc bag technique is what many use for Clivia seeds too.

I also really enjoy starting from seed, there's just something very satisfying to watching the plant from birth and knowing that you nurtured it (or at the least, you accompanied mother nature on her little journey).

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks CBL, sorry about your Sheltie, I hope the seeds become a tribute to him/her. Please keep me posted.

Tom

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Thank you, Tom. Will do. Here she is:

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a beauty! I hope your heart is finding peace now, it's always tough....

Tom

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

She was gorgeous, simply beautiful. I have to be honest, I'm not sure it's peace, at this point it's simply turning away from the sorrow. It does hurt so much to lose such a loyal companion with so much love. She was hilarious in the yard, she'd race from one end to the other tearing whatever sea grape or other leaves that got in her line of site to shreds. She was positively ferocious against leaves, but absolutely nothing else.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Susie, that is so funny! She was a beautiful dog and I know she was a great friend, too.

Carol in Jacksonville

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Thank you, Carol. It's funny, in that picture her stare is fixed on the newly planted row of podocarpus (sp), she especially loved to give the tiny plants a glancing blow on her way out the door. She looks so serene planning her next attack !