Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

What is the name of this plant?

What is the name of this plant? These photos were taken in my neighbor's yard and she gave me a bunch, too. She calls them "Pinks". However, these don't really look like anything in the Dianthus family so I'm not sure what they are called.

They have small, pinkish-red flowers with thin, grassy leaves. It is the very first plant to come up and bloom every year. They form large green seed pods and it is easy to harvest the seeds when the pods turn light tan. The seeds are hard, round and reddish-brown. These plants also readily reseed themselves. Does anyone know the name? Are they invasive? What is your experience?

Thanks for the help!
Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (21)

• morningloree
    11 years ago

It looks to be a type of rain lily. They have thin strappy leaves almost grass like and produce seed pods. The flower resembles a rain lily.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, you are right, they are similar! I have lots of varieties of rain lilies (zephyranthes) but I don't think these are related. These leaves are wider and less thick than rain lily's leaves. These leaves are somewhat similar to an iris except that they do not stand up firmly nor fan out. I hope someone will know what they are.

Carol

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Watsonia borbonica.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, thank you so much! I think it is some kind of Watsonia! You are so smart. I'm not positive it is borbonica, but it is one of the Watsonias. And sure enough, Watsonia is in the Iridaceae (Iris) family. I had a feeling they might be related because of the leaf structure.

Thank you!
    Carol

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

So pretty! I looked up Watsonia up on GoogleImage & W. borbonica is supposed to grow 4-5 feet tall - this looks shorter...?

In fact, none of the Watsonia images I found look like this plant/flowers - wondering if you tried the 'Name That Plant' forum yet?

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Mine is about 4 feet tall - some a bit taller.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Eureka! Freesia laxa, a.k.a. painted petal flower - now I want it too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image search results

Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol in Sarasota, you got it! In the words of Andy Bernard on The Office, "Nailed it!" Thank you! You were right when you said these are short. They don't come up more than a foot tall and also the flowers are only a couple per stem. They don't "stack" like Foxglove or Gladiolas. So it is a Freesia, and yes, those photos are a perfect match.

Kay, you are on it so often, I was sure you were right. I was looking for through the Google images, trying to make it work, LOL. Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.

Carol B and Kay, my neighbor gave me some seeds and I think she may have more. If you would like some, send me an email with your address. She said she just tosses them out into the bed and they seed themselves.

Thanks again for the help!

Carol in Jacksonville

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Thanks - I image-searched 'pink iridaceae'. Kay started the ball rolling for sure...

Original Author
    7 years ago

Does anyone have the variety False Freesia 'Joan Evans'? It's hard to find. It's mostly white with some red markings in the center. Very pretty.

If you have it, where did you get it?

Would you swap some seeds?

Thanks!

Carol

• irma_stpete_10a
    7 years ago

Does freesia need some cooler weather than in St Pete? I don't notice them growing around here. Spiderwort, on the other hand, love my yard (yea!).

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Irma, I don't know about regular (true) freesia. This false freesia comes up every January and February - it is the first thing to flower in my yard every spring. It is completely gone by late May or early June - green leaves and all - gone. It reappears the following January. It is reported to be hardy to Zone 10b but it is not a common plant so that may be why you haven't seen it. I had never seen or heard of it until my neighbor shared it with me.

Would you like some seeds to try? They are thick little beads but all the time and energy I have right now is to chance it by mailing them in a regular envelope. If you want to give it a shot, send me your address via Houzz message.

Carol

• irma_stpete_10a
    6 years ago

Carol, you're so kind! More kind than I am successful at starting things from seed. But thanks anyway!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Irma, I don't want to twist your arm. But here's how these seeds are planted and I'm dead serious:

1) Toss them into any flower bed.

2) Wait until January.

Do not "plant" them.

Do not water them. Simply toss. And then wait. I promise they will come up. No matter what.

But I understand if they are not your thing. :)

Carol.

• irma_stpete_10a
    6 years ago

I want some! I'll write to you. Thanks!

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have enough seeds to share with about five more gardeners. I will give preference to those who are already registered and active on our forum. If you are interested, please send me a Houzz message. (Click on my name above, make SURE you are logged in, and then click on the white "Message" in the upper right of my banner.)

Hoping I'll have some takers!

EDIT: I will be asking for a SASE business envelope and sending these out in those. No time to fool with padded envelopes, etc.

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

Folks, I'm all out of seeds. I've had a
    great response and they are all promised.

Barbi, I'm holding some for
    you if you will please send a Houzz Message to me.

Thanks!

Carol

• Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)
    6 years ago

Hi Carol,

I would love to try some seeds :)

I just started growing Adeniums from seeds this past spring/summer and now I'm looking forward to sowing lots of seeds from all types of plants this coming year.

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Jeannie,

This is an old thread... I won't have seeds until May. Please send me a Houzz message then and I will be so happy to share! These are a no-brainer!

Carol in Jacksonville

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    6 years ago

Carol most of my tossed seeds have sprouted and I still have a few to plant in anorher spot of the bed later on. I can't wait till they bloom! Thanks again!