Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Tomatoes in south Florida ?

What is the best method of growing tomatoes from seed in S. Florida ? In pots or directly in the ground ? The soil hereabouts is horrible, but I also have an 11 inch raised bed filled with topsoil and cow manure. Would it still be advantageous to grow these large big boy/beefsteak type tomatoes in pots ? Why ? Is it better to plant in the early spring here, or in the fall ? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

It's better to plant in the fall.
    There have been alot of tomato questions recently, so my advice is to scroll down the main page and put in "tomato" where it says "search this site". There's alot of info on this forum.
    Good luck.

• heirloom_heir
    13 years ago

yeah but most of those people dont live in florida

• coorscat
    13 years ago

I have only had luck with tomatos in pots. You have to plant in fall in South Florida, spring is too late.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

I agree that's it's likely way too late now to be starting tomato seeds in S.FL, but FWIW, I always start mine in sterile seed starting mix (JiffyMix is 1 brand). Starting in the ground - no matter what kind of soil - is much more of a gamble because of pests & disease.

You can refer the UF veggie gardening guide for seed starting times for your area.

& I'm curious why a search of this forum for tomato growing tips would turn up results from outside FL...?

Here is a link that might be useful: FL veggie gardening guide @ UF/IFAS

• amberroses
    13 years ago

For fall start the seeds in pots in the late summer. For spring start the seeds in the winter.

• natives_and_veggies
    13 years ago

One of the reasons to start in peat or other pots is to keep them indoors while you still have the A/C on, to get them going while it's still too hot to set them out. I start in August down here in peat pods in windowsills, replant to small pots on a table in the hottest part of the house by September, and don't set out in the yard until October. Depends on your zone and your conditions, but for me, starting inside moves my season up by getting them going before you can plant outside - same as up north, but in reverse.

• chara2
    13 years ago

The timing is a key. Last year I started my seeds on 03/01/09, which was way to late. This year I started them in the first week of January - I love my plants this year!From now on, that is when I will start my tomato seeds for a spring season. For a fall, I'm thinking starting seeds in the end of July.

• coastal-tony
    13 years ago

I'm getting ready to start some tomato & pepper seeds for the fall season. I will grow maybe 30 plants. Shoud I use little peat pots, or start the seeds in 16oz plastic cups? I have about 30 5-gal. buckets for transplanting in a month or so.

• tomncath
    13 years ago

I start them in 3oz Solo bathroom cups using expandable peat cubes under grow lights inside for 2-3 weeks, then pot up into Al's mix in 16 oz. cups and outside with morning sun and afternoon shade for 5-6 weeks, then into their final containers in the garden after that. Works fine for tomatoes but sometimes there are germination problems with peppers...they seem to start better in MG Organic Choice, a little tidbit I picked up from the Pepper forum, sometimes peppers don't like peat.

Others should be along soon with their experiences.

Tom

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

I don't like to use the peat pots - they tend to 'bind' the roots IMPE.

I use recycled plastic nursery celpaks w/ Jiffy seed starting mix. The celpaks can be purchased as well, if you don't have any around.

If seedlings are outgrowing the packs before it's time to plant, I transfer them to yogurt cups, or whatever I have on hand. For tomatoes & other plants that root along the stems, I bury the seedlings deeper every time I transplant. I also add compost when transplanting.

I use recycled grass plug/sod trays to hold all the containers, & I prop the trays up on bricks for better air circulation.

& I use Maxicrop seaweed extract to water the seedlings & when transplanting. It reportedly helps root growth.

My seedling go outside to a lightly shaded area as soon as they emerge.

HTH

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler