Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilystaug

Should I move a poinsettia that's become a tree?

lilystaug
11 years ago

I found this poinsettia in my yard, basically growing UNDER a rubber tree that I dug up and moved because it was too close to the patio. This year, it grew like crazy and was covered with blossoms throughout the winter. It's still in bloom today. The trunk is spindly, and I thought it might become a real tree if I moved it. I did some online research and read that it should be where it gets lots of sun by day, but no light at night, like from a streetlight. Maybe it's thriving because there's an overgrown bougainvillea that shades it from house and street lights at night. I'm afraid there's no really good place in my yard, based on that criteria, so I wonder if I should put it in a giant pot which I can move around if necessary (for cold protection or for more sun, etc.)

I can post photos if that would be helpful.

I appreciate any advice!

Comments (10)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Someone in my neighborhood has a very nice one growing under Oak trees that is in full bloom. I'm guessing it must do okay mostly shaded (since this one bloomed) and very robust even though it gets very little direct sun.

I know you can hard prune poinsettias to keep them compact and bushy. I planted a couple of them myself this year in the ground hoping one day to have a tree-like plant or very bushy one like my neighbor's.

You can probably dig it up and put it in a pot...depending on how large the roots are? There might be a chance it will be stressed for a while. I would put it in the shade for a few days and slowly acclimate it to full sun especially if its been growing in the shade for a while. Good luck!

Here's a picture (NOT mine, sadly)...in my neighborhood...

• lilystaug
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my poinsettia. You can see that it looks spindly. There's a big bougainvillea growing above it which shades it somewhat.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Lily...your Poinsettia is beautiful!! I'm sure with some hard pruning this year yours will be full and compact and even more beautiful next season!

• lilystaug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - I did move it to a large pot, where I can take it in and out of the sun, and it's not overshadowed by the bougainvillea. I pruned it really hard - hopefully not too much. When should I start seeing growth again, to be sure I didn't kill it! Should I fertilize it now?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

FWIW, I was given a very leggy potted Poinsettia in January...several weeks later I Pruned it very hard...not a single leaf left on the plant. During that time I watered it sparingly ( since that was back in March and was still pretty cool then) once it started warming up I watered it a little more till I saw new growths (several weeks after I hard pruned it)...once I saw new growths is when I started fertilizing it at Half strength every couple of weeks...

I'm sure yours will be just fine...give it about 3-6 weeks and you should see new growths especially once the rains get here...Good luck!

Here's one I hard pruned a couple of years ago...and the picture below shows if you look real close some teeny tiny new growths (appx. 3-6 weeks after) I hard pruned it.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

And here's the leggy one I received in January that was appx. 3 ft tall and Hard pruned it to about 6"-8" in March...

This is what it looks like today 2 months later...

• lilystaug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! I pruned mine hard, but not THAT hard! That looks fantastic after two months! I'll put in some pix of mine later. It's putting out some new growth, so at least I didn't kill it! I potted it instead of putting it in the ground.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

These are beautiful!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Lily and sultry!!

Lily, I'm sure yours will do just fine...looking forward to pictures of yours soon...

• frankconstantino11
    8 years ago

Hello my name is Frank, i am going to be moving by the end of this month and i want to bring my pointseata with me, right now its planted under an oak tree and doing good. What would be the best way to dig it up to take with me, its not very big, 2 feet tops. Any help would be great. Im going to be planting it back under a oak tree. Thanks Frank