Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talynne_gw

Beginner and New Area

Talynne
11 years ago

Hi
I'm a beginner gardener and I just moved to the coast area. I am just beginning my garden and I am unsure of the sandy /soil mixture and want to hear about thoughts and ideas about the plants I am growing.
My garden hopefully will consist of basic vegs.
Asparagus
broccoli
spinach
herbs (of all kinds)
melons
tomatoes
cucumbers
onions
SO my question is will they grow fine in the sandy/soil ground or are there tips and tricks I need to know .
Thanks
^_^ New gardener with love of green

Comments (5)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Asparagus doesn't grow here. Not enough cold in the winter. Broccoli, spinach and onions are cool weather crops. Plant them in the fall. The others will do ok in the sandy soil, but you would be much better off if you can add organic matter to the soil. Such as leaves, dried grass, kitchen scraps, no meat or greasy things. Animal manure. That has to be composted for several months so it doesn't burn your plants. I'm growing mine in hugels now. You should google it. After one year supposedly you don't have to water or fertilize!! Up my alley! Welcome to Florida. I'm just 8 miles over the border and I lived in Vero Beach for 17 years.

• chance71
    11 years ago

My first advice is dont give up! My first attempt here in the sand was a total flop. My sandy soil did not have enough nutrition for any thing to grow. You have never seen sadder plants...it was pitiful...Amend , amend and amend your soil. I have started a compost pile so the i can amend my soil often as it is not a one time done sort of thing here. It might take a couple of seasons to get it right but you can do it!

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

For the first year plant your veggies in pots with potting soil while you prepare your garden beds with amendments. Dig the beds around a foot or so deep and mix wood chips from a tree service company (for free). Wood chips will break down slowly when mixed with the sand and will hold moisture. Find a local person that has horses and see if you can get horse manure from them(also for free). Work the horse manure in the top 6 inches of your beds. Once your grow beds have been prepared this way you can start to plant after a year and then just keep applying the horse manure to keep the amendments in the soil. The Florida summer heat will break any amendments down very fast so you must keep adding to keep your soil viable.
    Your next problem is finding out what will grow in Florida and the proper season to plant it. We grow year round BUT vary what we grow for the particular season. If you came from up north everything will be backwards as to the seasons for planting. Believe me it's one heck of a learning process on what will grow and when to plant it. Just don't give up and you will learn through your failures(and there will be many).
    Serf through all the old posts on this web and it will save lots of learning time. After 10 years here I'm finally getting the hang of it and the garden is very productive and I can grow stuff people say won't grow in Florida.

Lou

• KerryAnita
    11 years ago

I just started a vegetable garden here in Satellite Beach (right up the road from Melbourne) and I literally live one block from the beach, so my soil is super sandy! I've had to do lots of soil amendment and one thing that saved me was that I positioned my garden under a large ficus tree. The years of leaf debris made the soil in that area more nutrient rich than elsewhere in the garden. People though I was crazy for putting my garden under a tree, but it's worked out great and prevents my plants from getting too dehydrated in the summer months.

Here is a link that might be useful: You can see my garden here:)

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

Consider building raised beds.

It's way too late to start the cooler weather veggies. It's also getting kind of late to start even the melons, cucumbers, tomatoes, or onions. If you do them in a pot and can manage to keep the stink bugs off them when they show up in another month you might be OK. I've never grown melons or cucumbers in a pot though I'm sure it could be done.

Ultimately, I decided that veggies generally weren't worth the hassle and aggravation. With the exception of tomatoes, you can get decent produce in a store or farmers market for cheap. I found the highest value item to grow is herbs. They're so easy to grow and they cost a lot to buy. it's not too late to start them. Just DON'T plant them all together in the same container (common newbie mistake.)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor