Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_k_orlando

Anyone having luck with Hollyhocks this yr? I think I am

tony_k_orlando
16 years ago

This plant is HUGE, its about 7 ft now and loaded with buds which should be open tomorrow, some are trying to open now.

I also planted some BLACK blossom Hollyhock seeds but they are tiny and probably wont be ready to bloom till maybe next yr, if they arent eaten or stepped on that is.

{{gwi:848850}}

Comments (33)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Oh how nice Tony! I have never thought of trying to grow hollyhocks here. I think I'll have to give them a try. Grew lots of them in Montana! Have you ever seen the double frilly ones? Beautiful!

~Betsy

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

I tried to grow them....they never seem to make it for me.

• happy_girl
    16 years ago

Tony, my hollyhocks did very well this year but they are just about finished. Some of them were more that 6' tall. I have saved seeds for next year. Mine were what Tom MacCubbin called Old Florida Hollyhocks.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

tried twice died twice.You must be doing something right!

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

happy_girl good to know someone else had some luck with theirs. The ones you have must really be an early variety. I have no clue what mine are, except PINK.

For those having trouble with em, maybe you have what was wiping mine out and that is SNAILs ! This yr I was watching them close as they come back by themselves and I happen to have some growing near where I had some lettuce growing. One early morning I spotted snails on the lettuce and sprinkled snail bait and then noticed the same kind of bite marks and holes where in the hollyhocks. I put some of the snail bait out all around all the hollyhocks and looks like I may have a bumper crop of blooms this yr.

I am hoping the black ones make after being bitten up a bit too but now that the bait was placed, they are getting stronger.

Florida is sure tough on plants isnt it?

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I've tried them from seed a couple times here but they didn't do anything for me. This year I broke down and bought a nice sized plant from Lukas. It transplanted well and I'm hoping it gets tall and blooms before the summer rains start. I'm sure the daily storms will break them down pretty fast.
    If this works I'll grow them as annuals each year.

Kate

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Tony you got the touch! Mine are going to seed!
    Kat

• cbrandon
    16 years ago

Your hollyhock is looking great Tony. What variety is it and when did you plant it? I thought about getting one at Lukas Nursery, they said theirs was a Vietnamese Hollyhock and the only kind that would grow in Central Florida, obviously not.
    Brandon

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Brandon, I have no clue which variety this is, and I dont know too much about growing hollyhocks here in central florida other than I have been trying for a couple yrs.

I started this one from seeds, and I do have several of the same doing really well this yr.

I started some seeds which will have BLACK blooms but perhaps next yr they will bloom out for me.

Seeing as Hollyhocks are perennials, there is no need to replant them annually or to start new ones, they just come back from where they left the yr before.

Maybe this pic will help identify the type this is as it has decided to open for viewing today.
    {{gwi:848851}}

• manature
    15 years ago

Tony, I just got one of these yesterday as a belated birthday present. Looks just like yours, and it IS a Vietnamese Hollyhock, according to the label. It SAYS it blooms "year round" and makes it sound like it is a perennial, rather than a biennial, like traditional hollyhocks. My friend, Gary, gave it to me, and he said that he was told they will stand up to Florida heat and humidity with no problems. Mine is the same color as yours and the blooms are HUGE!! I'm very excited to be trying it out. How is yours doing now?

Marcia

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marcia, Happy belated B-Day!

These hollyhocks come back from the roots each year. There are some seeds which fall and start new plants too BUT the mother plant definitely comes back and shows off her size and loads of blooms.

I planted mine from seeds, and never knew their name, thanks for letting me know 'WHO' these may be.

The only thing I can say is to watch out for snails and slugs. They are the ONLY thing so far that have prevented new plants from making it into adulthood.

I would say that I use snail and slug bait, but would rather not bother after posting about the weed killer. I should've known better.

Anyways, here is a pic of mine again, it NEVER gets watered and doesnt seem to have a bad day ever unless the snails arent kept in check when the leaves are young.
    {{gwi:848852}}

BTW, The hollyhocks were not up when I planted the honey suckle tree with the yellow flowers back there. I forgot there were there. There is lettuce that has gone to seed too in front of the tree and the monster geraniums are closing in on the left.

• manature
    15 years ago

Tony, it looks MAHVELOUS!! Thanks for the info! I'm so excited to finally have a hollyhock that might thrive here! Wheeee!

And we weren't TOO rough on you about the weed killer, were we? I think you got as many in favor as agin it, and loads of info, too, on concentrations and methods of application. Me, I'm not a purist, by any means. I try to avoid the stuff, but when all else fails, I will use it. BUT...the flame thrower is fantastic!

Okay, now I'm going to go see if I can get my hollyhock to grow as well as YOURS! (I certainly fail in the geranium department!)

Marcia

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Marcia,

I refrain from feeding these plants too. Seems they want to outgrow their skin if fed while growing. I will give them a lil but most of the feeding I provide em seems to be done when they have disappeared and gone dormant.

Perhaps mark where they are planted so you dont do as I did, planting something real close to it while I couldn't see it.

Is there room on your shelf next to all the other crowns???? Reason I ask is, I am positive I could set you up to be the new Geranium Queen. A little trial and error and BAM ! They are everywhere now, They could also be in Sanford too.

Nope, you guys werent too rough.

• manature
    15 years ago

Tony, Tony, Tony...what does it take to make a believer outta ya? I have killed every geranium you have given me, and you've given me several. I'm DEATH on geraniums. I think I LOVE them to death. I don't think I could EVER become a Geranium Queen. Not even a princess. Maybe a Geranium Court Jester? Nah. More like a Geranium Royal Executioner!

I will remember not to over feed the hollyhock. How about water? I've put mine in the rose bed in full sun. Will post a picture here shortly. I just LOVE this thang!

So it disappears completely when it dies back, but comes back...when? In the spring? And do you let the seeds form on the plant and collect them, or let them drop where they will?

Marcia

• countrynest
    15 years ago

No we were not too rough,Tony! You asked how would Felix do it,so I told you how I do it. Then Olya said she's with me.
    I said wait a minute I am not making problems for my buddy
    Tony! But too late! I'm always in hot water. :-(
    Tony, that picture above is beautiful. It's a cottage garden.
    Great variety of colors. So festive. Hey, you inspired me with the geranium also. Sylvia got a beautiful one from the swap at nova's and I planted in what seems a good spot. She is doing great. Move over Marcia,honey! he,he,he
    Felix

• manature
    15 years ago

Felix, you can HAVE all the geranium room you want! I bow to you and to Tony and to anyone who can grow the darn things!!

Here are my Vietnamese Hollyhock photos. I think it is BEEEE-yoooootiful!

Finally put it in the ground next to a pink KnockOut rose. The colors look pretty together. Some fennel behind for a nice bright green, and I think I'm happy with the location.

{{gwi:848855}}

It is about 2 1/2 feet tall right now, and has tons of buds on it. Can't wait to see how big it will get!

Marcia

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Nice.

Will Hollyhocks even grow down in South Florida??

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

wow, Tony your hollyhocks are great! And Marcia, yours will grow up to be as big as Tony's :-)

Evelyn

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Felix, if you need more of the geraniums, let me know. Like Marcia said, she may have loved em to death as I did when I was trying for seemingly yrs.

Marcia,

My plants are GONE for the winter. Once it dries up and gets crispy, I cut it down and toss it.

I collect some seeds and let the others fall. They usually germinate if its moist enough but mine get zero water from me or the sprinkler and are planted on some really crappy just about pure sand ground.

I had planned on having these hollyhocks across the entire back of the yard and have planted seeds many times but without constant moisture they just fizzle out on me.

I think my plan will be to start a bunch of em in containers and have em ready for spring. This is about the only sure fire way to go about it.

If you start seeing holes in the leaves, check for snails.

another thing that also seems to get the plant when its really dry out is some sort of rusty colored leaves forming near the bottom of the plant. I will have to double check mine, my guess would be spider mites. So far so good this yr!

Yours look mahvelous!

tony

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cliff,

I dunno about them growing there or not. Mine is in the sun and gets no water and thrives. I will look for some seeds if you want to give them a go. If I dont currently have any seeds, then as soon as I can get some off the plant, we can work out some way to get them to ya.

tony

• countrynest
    15 years ago

OH,Marcia,you chose good combinations there. I'm happy for you!
    Felix

• manature
    15 years ago

Anyone who is interested in this plant, just remember this is VIETNAMESE hollyhock, not regular cottage garden hollyhocks like grow farther north. I have never, EVER been able to grow those here. They are bienniels, too, flowering the second year and then dying. This one is supposedly a perennial. Will keep ya posted on how it does for me.

Mine is in a bit (slightly) richer soil than what you are describing, Tony, as it is in the OGR bed. And they do get watered twice a week, pretty thoroughly. So, we will see which conditions it likes better, I guess. Or maybe it's not too particular.

Marcia

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Marcia, I've never heard of Vietnamese Hollyhocks. Do you know where Gary got it? Did he grow it from seeds?

Kate

• manature
    15 years ago

Nope, Kate...he got it from Lukas, and I'm planning to go over there very soon to see if I can find MORE!!! I just LOVE this!! I could see a whole row of them in the back of my side beds. Seven feet? I'm down for THAT!

Marcia

• atreelady
    15 years ago

When I was a kid we used to make hollyhock dolls. (We amused ourselves pretty cheaply back in those days.) They bring back memories so I had been wanting some but got nothing (zip, nada) from seeds and gave up. So Vietnamese Hollyhocks might be the answer.

Lukas nursery is a drive for me, but I keep hearing about great stuff people get there. The other thing keeping me from going there besides the drive is I know I will see lots I "need" and it won't be cheap. (Sigh)

• manature
    15 years ago

That's true, treelady...Lukas isn't known for bargain prices, but they DO have things you don't always see elsewhere. I love to visit them.

Marcia

• madmax1958
    15 years ago

Yes Tony i did this past summer. this was the first time I tried planting Hollyhocks. I have Queens Eye which is a beautiful flower. My plants grew about 7' tall and it was the first year. In fact I grew so many Hollyhocks that I was give them away to my neighbors. I am looking for other Hollyhock seeds for trade. I will trade some Queen's Eye for other seeds.
    You plants are gorgeous. Keep up the great work. I have photos of my Queen's Eye.
    Max

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    15 years ago

Madmax---You found a taker! I have seeds from the plants that I grew last winter. The original seeds came from Tom MacCubbin. I would like to trade if you are interested. Also, I have some saved seed from my Vietnamese hollyhocks. Original plants came from Lukas Nursery. Let's see some Queen's Eye photos, please.

In Central Florida, it is time to start hollyhock seeds now. Be sure to grow quick to flower varieties.

Christine

• manature
    15 years ago

Madmax, if you are in Zone 6, your hollyhocks might not do so well here in Florida. The heat is pretty hard on them, which is why we were all so excited to find out about the Vietnamese hollyhocks...they thrive on heat and humidity, apparently.

Mine died back after blooming, and are on their way again...popped up out of the ground two weeks ago and are looking good so far. That's another difference...Vietnamese hollyhocks are perennials rather than biennials. Supposedly, they will come back year after year. (The same plants, not just nearby seedlings.)

Marcia

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I AM EXTREMELY JEALOUS!!!
    I have tried many many times.Those are wonderful!

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    15 years ago

Madmax--I didn't notice that you are in zone 6 but that shouldn't matter as long as your hollyhocks are quick bloomers not biennuals. I am still willing to trade your variety for mine.

• frostedthumb
    14 years ago

I purchased my Vietnamese Hollyhocks from Keep It Green in Apollo Beach. They seem to like the spot where I planted them. Since I am a new gardener, I would like to know how and when to collect the seeds for planting next year. Also, what other colors are available other than pink?

• manature
    14 years ago

I let my seeds dry on the plant, until the little pod was really brown, then picked the pods and collected the seeds. I don't think Vietnamese hollyhocks are available in any other color. Mine died to the ground last year, but came back this year, however they were smaller than the first year...only reaching between 18" and 2'. Don't know if that means they are in decline or not. They still bloomed nicely. And I haven't planted any of the seeds yet, so don't know how well they do.

Sadly, Tony isn't with the group any more, so we can't easily check with him.

Marcia

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus