Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coreopsis? From Lori's swap last year - ID please

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 19:40

These pictures don't really show the lower leaves but I saw an identical plant at the swap last Saturday. Is this a coreopsis and if so which one? I planted it last spring so this is the first year it has bloomed.

Tom

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coreopsis? From Lori's swap last year - ID please

It looks just like my Coreopsis grandiflora. It reseeds like crazy.

Bill

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 8:15

I have that same coreopsis and if you got your plant from Lori's swap last year there's a good chance you got it from me. I also gave some away at Silvia's swap this year. Don't know what type of coreopsis it is but it's one of the toughest I've ever seen and is a favorite of mine. It will spread by seed and is drought tolerant. I thin mine each year and share it with friends and family. There are still a few plants in my lawn where it seeded from last year that I have to move to new spots in my garden.

Kara

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 19:01

Thanks Bill, it's definitely hardy and I've seen the small green native bees working it so far ;-)

Kara, I'm glad you responded because I thought it came from you last year at Lori's swap, I just needed confirmation. The only thing that's throwing me off about Bill's link to C.grandiflora is the description that it blooms from June to September, since this one has been blooming for about a week now.

Thought's and experiences anyone?

Tom

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 6:13

I have a coreopsis that is similar but the flowers appear to be double. It blooms all year for me as long as the weather is warm enough. With the warm winter we've had maybe yours is starting early. :o)

o

The bit about it blooming from June to September is (like so much gardening info out there) for states further north. Here C. grandiflora starts blooming in April (or even earlier). If you keep them deadheaded they may keep blooming to September. Most of mine stop flowering in the Jungle weather of August, but I'm growing them in a meadow.

Bill

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 9:54

Yes, very true, Bill. :o)

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 10:54

Mine have already started to bloom as well although it is a bit early thanks the the mild winter we had. I think that is blooms most of the summer but I'm not sure about that. About a month ago I planted one that I'd had growing in a 4" pot since last summer and the plant is already tripled in diameter and is now about 2 feet tall including the blooms. It's such a bright and cheery spot of color in the garden!

Kara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here