Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steveb3

Help- Gray Mold killing tomatoes

steveb3
12 years ago

Gray mold - powdery mildew is running wild on my tomato plants I water in the morning with drip at the base only. Sprayed twice now with a copper liguid fungicide -it keep it check for a while, now it is back in force, all I can find on the net is copper or milk, so I sprayed twice with a 10% milk solution using 2 % milk 3 days apart, 2nd time tonight. I am afraid I am going to loose them all, 4 to 5 feet tall with lots of big green tomatoes. I thinned the lower branches off as that is where it started now it is up high on the leaves. I keep hands and tools clean so I do not spread it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (8)

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Steve

It is probably not as bad as you think, if you still have tomatoes on the vine, there is the possibility that at least you will have a harvest no matter how the plants look.
    Since you already tried the copper and the milk and did not help, there is an organic fungicide that can be used as a foliar spray or drench in the soil, it is called Actinovate, it is expensive and not readily available. I found it at Ace one time, a hydroponics store or the internet. However I am not saying it is a cure all product, it is just something else to try...

You already cut the damaged leaves, just have to keep trimming and keeping on eye, if possible put the infected plants separated from the rest.

With the strange weather that we had we can expect a lot of disease and bugs this season.

Silvia

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

FWIW, I've noticed so much more powdery mildew this year - on my veggies & elsewhere. I know that certain conditions are conducive: lack of air circulation combined w/ high humidity.

It was on some of my tomatoes too, I got fruit, but the plants did not last as long as they might've otherwise. A couple regrew & are bearing again.

I haven't sprayed anything because I'm such a lazy gardener. I just remove the affected stuff as I see fit.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

I can't help but wonder if dry conditions are the culprit. I've always thought our damp spring mornings are the problem but lately it's been so dry that with no rain the pollen count has been excessively high, is it possible that the same conditions are spreading high levels of fungal spores just waiting for a night of heavy dew to produce a super-bloom just like the red tide algae blooms we've all come to hate.

All I can say is that regardless of spraying my zukes up on the pool cool deck they are history, I'm giving up on growing zukes :-(

Tom

• steveb3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am still spraying once a week with what I think is your formula Silvia- Dr Bonner's, serenade, spinosad and canola or neem oil- no bugs or cats on the tomatoes just the mold. Oh well the life of a gardener. I thought I would be over run with stink bugs but seen less than 10 this spring. I know it is still early
    Wish I could make the party but cannot- have lots of fun and post a bunch of pics
    Thanks-Steve

• whgille
    12 years ago

Tom, my squash has never looked so bad like this season, at least I was able to get a good harvest before all the disease and bugs show up. Yesterday I saw a cloud of whitefly in the garden, we also think is the drought that is bringing these conditions...

Steve, maybe one day you can make it to meet us at the party, we will post pictures for you...
    I was away so I didn't spray like I was supposed to, on my tomatoes some are doing better than others but they are all fruiting and some are ripening, I hope to at least to get some harvest before the problems take over and I wish you the same with your tomatoes. Keep us posted on the results. This season is going to be a challenge for us all...

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

See you tomorrow Silvia.

I kept the Sweet Baby Girl maters from the fall going hoping they would keep the squirrels busy enough to not bother my spring Beefmaster fruit, amazingly they are going like gangbusters, no TYLCV/whitefly and very little worn damage with lots of continuous fruit production...this variety is a real winner for me ;-)

Tom

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

For anyone else like me who didn't know
    TYLCV=Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus

• steveb3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well tomatoes are still producing but still had a lot of the gray mold, cut lots of leaves and stems off. Stopped by Shell's Feed store in Tampa and ask who was the plant disease expert ? I told him my issues and that I was using Seranade, he said he had something cheaper and better. Sign me up- he showed me a product called " Green Cure Fungicide " (organic)I sprayed once so far 4 days ago and very little sign of the mold is back. He said every 4 days until it is gone. I am going to have to go back and shake his hand as I believe he saved my whole garden. Main ingredient is potassium bicarbonate which I believe is baking soda, what ever it is it sure worked for

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville