Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you deal with disease/fungus/nature?

Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 20:01

I am so happy this time of year. Squash and cucumbers producing wonderfully, tomatoes with big green fruit. Salads for lunch whenever I feel like it, herbs in abundance. Pole beans climbing, lima beans erupting....my soul is happy.

Then...we have.... mildew on the squash, brown edges on cucumber leaves, "stuff" on the tomatoes. I've learned lots from this forum. I think I've got the tomato thing under control with daily pruning and weekly sprays. Squash it was literally one day they looked great, the next morning it was white mildew and I've been spraying with a 1/3 milk mix and it's keeping it contained so far. But what about the cucs and what do you do for your vegetable garden when normal things don't work?

Discuss! :)

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you deal with disease/fungus/nature?

Last fall was the first time I tried cucumbers and it was a total disaster. I couldn't keep ahead of the bugs, fungus and disease. This spring, I'm growing them in a pot in my screened pool enclosure. It's partially covered so, rain will only hit the foliage if wind-blown from the south or west. Dew will not settle on it. I haven't seen any female flowers, yet, but when they emerge, I'll wheel it outside in the daytime for the bees, and bring it back in before dark (pickleworm moths are nocturnal). Hopefully, this will allow me to get the upperhand on cuc problems and actually get something edible.

I also grew pumkins last fall and it was a race to control powdery mildew long enough for the fruit to ripen. Had I not sprayed with Daconil several times at the end of the season, I wouldn't have had any fruit. In the end I produced only three pumpkins (one from each vine). One was perfect, but small - this was the earliest one to ripen; one with minor fruitworm damage (but most of the flesh was salvagable); and one that was totally destroyed by fruitworm larvae. As the leaves died out from the powdery mildew (the disease spread from the lower leaves first to the fruiting ends of the vine last), the worms made their way to the pumpkins as a food source of last resort! More diligent sprays with BT might have saved that last pumpkin.

o
RE: How do you deal with disease/fungus/nature?

As for tomatoes, I'm much more successful with those. Other than the occasional disease, I'm pretty good at keeping the bugs down and getting fruit. Weekly sprays of BT for the cats; soaps/oils if aphids show up; and frequent scouting for other pests (like stink bugs) works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here