Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teka2rjleffel

My gorgeous orchid (photos)

teka2rjleffel
15 years ago

Den. aggregatum var. majus

She only blooms once a year but boy what a show when she does. Here is the progression:

Just opening

{{gwi:258685}}
Opened a bit more

{{gwi:258686}}
Starting to get there

{{gwi:258687}}
These last two shot a couple of days apart

{{gwi:258688}}
{{gwi:258690}}
Nancy

Comments (31)

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

WOW gorgeous.

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

wow. love the tree mounting too, really shows off the blooms.

Denise

• tampaart
    15 years ago

Beautiful, mine is still being shy. Bud spikes are growing but I've got at least a month to go.

Nice job!

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tampaart, mine was slow this year too. I had to cut back some of the palms above and once she got some light she took off.
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments. My sister gave me this one as a gift several years ago and it's still my favorite.
    Nancy

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

Fabulous! Mine is tiny and has two bloom spikes.

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

Oh, my!
    That's pretty.

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Nancy, that is beyond stunning, thanks for posting the picture. :o)

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Not that I was fishing for compliments or anything, ha ha.
    Nancy

• PRO
    Sharon C Sullivan
    15 years ago

what a beautiful orchid. I have several vandas, they love to be ignored and bloom several times a year. I really need to get beyond this beginner orchid. Your picture is an inspiration.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Very Pretty...I love yellow flowers!! Great job!

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Nancy , what a beautiful display - good job. You deserve the compliments
    Olya

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Honestly I don't deserve compliments on this orchid. It takes care of itself. I basically do nothing but leave it alone. When I have fussed with it in the past with fertilizer or watering it didn't do as well. But thanks for the compliments anyway. My sister is the one who should get them for picking out and paying for this beauty.
    Nancy

• manature
    15 years ago

Oh, it is SO pretty, Nancy! Very lush and such a gorgeous, happy color! I love the tree mounting, too! Thanks for sharing such pretty pictures.

Marcia

• User
    15 years ago

How fun to see it growing on a tree outside. I used to see it often in greenhouses up north but not like yours! âº

• fldirt
    15 years ago

WOW WOW WOW! That is one beautiful orchid

• annafl
    15 years ago

Nancy, I posted on this thread yesterday, but don't see my post! I wanted to congratulate you on a spectacular specimen, and thank you for posting the progression of blooms. Really, really cool! Great job.

Anna

• msmarion
    15 years ago

I'm not a big fan of yellow but I love this orchid. I passed on it at the orchid show in Port St Lucie two weeks ago. (Kicking myself now though)
    Thanks for sharing Nancy.

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I feel like a proud Momma.
    Nancy

• regine_Z 10 Fl gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I tried, it died. How much sun does it get? I had mine mounted to a palm tree, but it never did well. Yours is gorgeous!

Regina

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Wow!Nancy! Just beautiful. I also like yellow and she looks so good on the palm. It looks like paradice.
    I have one Orchid that does ok but I intend to get another and keep on trying. Some day.
    Felix

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Proof of what a good choice Dends are as garden plants.
    "Cool and very dry" is that a florida winter or what??
    Mine did not do well this year as I am growing catts on either side "Hate cool dry ,croak during frosts "lol
    had to water the catts so lost the glorious flowering of the dend. lol Looks like your's sailed through the frosts gary

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Gary brings up a great point! This species is one of many that thrives on neglect - literally :) Forget it outside during the winter and do not water - and you get a show!
    On the other hand, watering it and fussing it would not produce any flowers at all :)
    This is a great "garden" orchid

Olya

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Regine, it gets filtered light from 2 palms, the skinny areca that it's on and another. Behind it are tall shrubs from the neighbor. When it gets close to bloom time (early March) I cut back the fronds to give it more light.
    Thanks Felix for your kind words.
    Gary, it always looks nice but is even more so this year. I guess it is the cool, dry weather. We didn't get frost, but I always cover it well when the temps dip.
    Nancy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I have this same little beauty blooming but mine is still very small. Yours is spectacular!

Kate

• lellie
    15 years ago

Simply stunning, Nancy!
    The squirrels would have a hey-day if I grew mine on the trees, I'm afraid...LOL
    How is it attached, tho?

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Nancy ~ Every time I see your orchid I'm impressed. It is a beauty every year. Thanks again for showing it to us.

FlowerLady

• Bren2
    15 years ago

Like lellie, I also would like to know the best way to attach orchids to a tree. Anyone?

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    At one time I had over 40 orchids growing on an orange tree, State whacked in down so most went back to the shadehouse . Wilma destroyed my two remaining trees lol
    I still have one dwark Catt 3 cane dends and two epidendrums growing on a Carambola tree.
    Are you asking about Dends or different kinds?? I think the best way is in spring when active root growth is noted and weather is most stable. For catts and Phals I use a bit of long fibered sphag under tthe base for cane and nobile dends just place on the bark. Tie with string make sure it doesn't cut into the bulbs but firm enough to hold it still in spite of wind. I use silicone glue in the shadehouse or liquid nails . Put it where you can keep an eye on it and irrigate unless you can make it rain lol
    There are a lot of problems with growing them "au natural" but can work quite well.
    good luck!!! gary

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    15 years ago

I have many yellow flowering plants but no orchids and yours is just stunning, what a great photo progression,too.

How long do these blooms last and do orchids bloom again (back to back,so to speak?) or is it one big bloom?

thanks for sharing. teeka

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. To attach I tie it to the tree. As Gary said use something that won't cut. I use panty hose. After it's there a while the roots will attach and it stays without help. I learned when we had the cold snap in Feb. to put mine low enough on the tree that I can get to them to protect them if needed.
    Teeka, I have orchids that bloom often. I have a few so I'm not sure exactly how quick the repeat is but one or more are always in bloom. This particular orchid only blooms once a year, it stays for 2 weeks to 3 months depending on the weather. Orchids.com has a lot of info on what kind of orchids like which light. They may have something on repeat also.
    Nancy

• ginibee
    15 years ago

That orchid had me drooling too! In fact I saw one at the Heathcote sale last Saturday and really wanted to get it. The one in bloom (not nearly as spectacular as yours) was not for sale and the ones for sale were tiny, tiny little 3 inches at the most and don't know when they would bloom. The $20 price just wasn't justified - at least not then. I'll probably regret it later.

Ginny