Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone buy sunflower seeds for planting? Well DONT waste your $$

Posted by tony_k_orlando Z9 Fl (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 20:11

You can simply buy a huge bag of sunflower seeds for your bird brained friends and use them to grow the very same plants. Heck, the birds (especially the Gold Finches) plant em all over for ya.

Check it out......
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone buy sunflower seeds for planting? Well DONT waste you

Oh its so pretty....Matty was saying he didnt want a bird feeder because of all the mess it makes.....but if i buy the right seed maybe the birdies will plant me a garden :-)

o

now THAT is really pretty, Tony! I know the birds didn't plant them in that line, tho, so...did you just mow up 'so' close?????? It's really takin' me back to 'The Farm' ...love it!

o

Beth,

I sure as heck didnt plant that many sunflowers, but I must admit, the numbers of em sure overwhelm the eyes and hide all the not so pretties in the area real well.

The feeders were/are on plain dirt with no grass, thats why they seem to be so straight back there. I really hadnt seen any seeds germinate in the grass, BUT even if I had, they would have gotten mowed down.

I am SOOOOO glad the thistle isnt germinating yet and hopefully NEVER!

o

Oooh! Love sunflowers, nice looking Tony. Ah, but too late...I already PAID for "fancy" seeds. They are are about 6 to 8 inches tall and growing fast. Pictures will be posted...

o

Hey Tony, aka Man of the Week, thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to eliminate the grass on the opposite side of our privacy fence on the alley side. I was thinking about planting (and investing $) to bring some color to the alley but I think I'd be making a mistake. Never know who may be driving thru the alley with a shovel...
So, sunflower seeds seem to fit the bill here.
Thanks Tony and enjoy the spotlight! From everything I've read so far, you deserve the applause.
Sue.

o

Beautiful! I have to find a place to do that.

o

ppsstt...Tony...be glad you didn't have thistle germinate. I have. it's EVERYwhere! (I don't mind but the spousal unit is still in hopes of a grass lawn one day instead of wildflowers and weeds!...not gonna happen long's I keep feeding birds and refusing to spray!)

o

Tony, I love the sunflower patch! I have lots of things coming up under the birdfeeders and wish more of it was sunflowers. Goofy me - I'm one of the people who actually buys sunflower seeds to plant.

o

Dang, Tony...is there ANYTHING at your place that doesn't just volunteer to be beautiful?? I have had lots of volunteer sunflowers, too, but never so thick and lush looking.

Photobucket

Marcia

o

Hey Tony,I have been transplanting the volunteer sunflower plants from under the bird feeder to sunnier locations in the garden. Some of the plants have multiple flower buds. I cant wait for them to open. Yours look great.
Hope to see you and Mary Beth soon.
Felix

o

Wow, what is your secret? Your beautiful geraniums and now this sunflower patch, not to mention all the other things you grow. I'm going to go through my bird seed and gather out some sunflower seeds to plant. Hope they do well for me. Yours are happy looking.

FlowerLady

o

Thought I'd mention another piece of sunflower miscellaneous.
Last summer I was fortunate that a couple of my seeds from the birdfeeder above, dropped to the ground and grew into 2 beautiful sunflowers. As the flowers were beginning to die, I cut them off at the stem line, put each flower into a brown paper bag and left them in a dark closet.
Just around Christmas-time, I carefully wrapped them and sent them as a gift to my longtime friend and gardening enthusiast up in Boston. She loved it! All the seeds were now dry and still inside the flower and easy for all her snowbirds to enjoy a little snack. So easy to do and I know your northern friends will get a kick out of it.
Just a thought,
Sue.

o

Suegrew, what a great idea! So fun!! Lately, I've not gotten any sprouts, as the squirrels are diligent about getting anything that falls to the ground. Sometimes I have 6 or 8 of them under the feeder at once. And every time I have tried to plant sunflower seeds intentionally, they have dug them up and devoured them. But I haven't given up yet. And I'm going to try your idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Marcia

o

IF you leave the spent sunflower heads on the stalk, the birds WILL enjoy them too. They fly into the heads to dislodge the seeds and then eat them off the ground. Thing is, the other birds are waiting for some 'other' bird to knock the seeds out while they wait.

The problem with letting em grow like I have is that the squirrels can climb the sunflowers to now get to the feeders, but this yr, I have only noticed one do it so far. There is generally more than enough on the ground for everyone.

o

Speaking of squirrels...my DH (spousal unit-Beth, that made me laugh!) popped one! I haven't seen a squirrel on the feeder since. I know it is only temporary but I'm enjoying the "no squirrel zone" while it lasts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here