Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of dollar weed

Posted by FLgardenmom 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 20:31

There is horrible dollar weed in the planter boxes at the preschool where I volunteer. I pulled a bunch of it, put down cardboard, and filled the boxes with soil before we started planting. But that has not stopped it. It has been constant battle. I really don't want the boxes to go all to weed this summer and have to start all over again in the fall. It was a LOT of work! Plus, what I did was obviously not enough. I don't want to spray chemicals on a veggie garden for kids!

Any suggestions!!!!?????!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of dollar weed

Eat it!

It has runners way deep that seemingly can not be killed. Set the kids to work finding all the runner? I really don't know. I've mostly given up the battle.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Dollarweed

o

Maybe when you leave for the summer, put down black plastic and weight it down. Dollar weed loves water so it won't be getting any extra water except for when it rains.
Hopefully that will kill it and when you come back from summer vacation it will be gone!

o

Here is a thread on the same subject, with some helpful suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dollar weed - help!

o

Atrazine, only product get's rid of dollar weed..

o
RE: How to get rid of dollarweed

Yes Atrazine can be used to address dollarweed. But boy, Atrazine, which is an herbicide, can cause serious injury to trees, especially live oaks. Use it with caution.

I learned the hard way. Fortunately I didn't kill my live oak, but I set it back. That was back in 2005 or 2006 and I had used a liquid form in a pump sprayer. The tree is fine now but I am very careful how and where I apply herbicides.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Hi Carol. Can you send me some of your Dollarweed please. ysickles@hotmail.com Thank you

o

Get some kids. Ever since I got my two, I rarely get to see one of those annoying dollars.

o

Eat it!!! Says Green Dean of Eat The Weeds. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here