Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashhassan

Thanks & my Next 10 year projects of growing trees.

AshHassan
11 years ago

Thank you , Thank you , Thank you . Over last 3 months , I have learnt a lot from all your helpful messages in the forum and insights.
I have started my next 10 year project by planting various trees around my house. Any further advice based on this set of tree plants will be great.
Once again, looking forward to sharing my experience and learning.
Here is my tree plant lists
⢠Mango Alphonso Var, Mango Neelum Var. .,Mango Mallika Var. .
⢠Lychee Brewster Var., Gooseberry, Jackfruit, Fig Black Mission Var. ., Peach, Plum, Grumichama, , Guava Barbie Pink Var., Carambola, Mulberry Everbearing Var. .
⢠Allspice, Neem ,
⢠Avocado Choquette Var., Tamarind ,
⢠Tabebuia caraiba
⢠Black Pepper Vine ., Paan/Betal Leaf Vine , Sugar Cane
⢠Papaya Red Lady Dwarf Var., Banana Plantain four Var. .
⢠Giant Timber Bamboo, Asian Lemon Bamboo, Blue Bamboo, The Sunburst Bamboo, Angelmist Bamboo, Yin Yang Bamboo

So far over last 10 years, I had fairly good success in vegetable gardening and with these trees, I am hoping to learn growing trees. Currently I have Oaks, Pine and Sycamores and Sugar Maples.
Ash

Comments (5)

• thetradition
    11 years ago

I have to say that this is a very impressive project that you've put together. I do think that some of your varieties might have trouble in zone 9B when we have hard winters. You might want to look into low chill peaches and apples instead of some of the tropical trees on your list. Depends on your microclimate though...

Where in zone 9B are you located? And what's the plan for the plot you photographed?

Many of the trees on your list require full sun and they're going to get big (if frost doesn't cut them back), which could shade other sun-loving plants on your list if you don't plan carefully.

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

Hello Ash,
    If you like apples you can try planting at least two (one of each) of these two for cross pollination for the Anna apple, the Dorsett Golden or Ein Shemer.
    If you have trouble with die back from the cold with your Grumichama then try Cherry of the Rio Grand, it is a little bit more cold tolerant.
    You also can try the Japanese Fuyu varieties of the persimmon trees. They are not astringent like the American persimmon and grow very well in Florida.

Lou

• bitki07
    10 years ago

Ash,
    Also you can get some passion fruits too atZ9
    Ugur

• bitki07
    10 years ago

Did you already prune Choquette avocado ,do you have some cuts for grafting my avocado trree.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I would say for the mangos, you would need to find the warmest part of your property and find a warmer micro climate. What is helpful also, is to place them near an outlet, so on cold nights, you can wrap them in C-9 Christmas lights. I am growing bananas, but have yet to have one tree produce any. I have a sweetheart lychee tree which is doing well. I also have a sugar apple tree, too.