Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Lime Seedlings

Posted by L_in_FL 8B, NW FL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 20:39

I have some baby red lime seedlings now! The first one came up on the 20th, the second one three days ago, then two more today. I'm going to give the remaining seeds at least a few more weeks in case there are some late risers.

It's exciting that I have at least four red lime seedlings to grow. Thanks again, Silvia!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Lime Seedlings

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 8:42

Hi Laura

Congrats on your new seedlings! Hope they do well for you, keep us updated on their progress.

Silvia

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 19:42

To clarify, sometimes they have a hard time popping out of the seed shell....

o

Tue, May 1, 12 at 7:38

To clarify, sometimes they have a hard time popping out of the seed shell....

Huh, I posted a response before this one but apparently it didn't take....I've had some of these seedlings come up as late as 6-8 weeks :-) Talk about stragglers....

Tom

o

Tue, May 1, 12 at 8:21

Tom, sometimes when I get those hard to germinate seeds, I make a small cut at the end with a knife or a sharp razor blade or I use a nail file.
But you were successful with a lot of the red lime seedlings! :)

Silvia

o

Then I will definitely give the remaining ones at least another month before giving up on them.

I am kind of nervous about digging them up to nick them with a knife/razor blade. That seems like the kind of operation better done before planting. But I can try it if you think it will help. Which end of the seed do you cut? The round end or the tapered one?

o
RE: Red Lime Seedlings - Nicking Seed Coat

To clarify, I'm nervous about digging them up in case I find they were just starting to sprout. I'm worried I could damage the new roots or stem and kill seedlings that would have made it if I'd just left them alone.

o

Tue, May 1, 12 at 12:28

That's a justifiable concern. I wouldn't do it now, leave them be and be happy if you get any more.

Tom

o

Tue, May 1, 12 at 12:45

Laura, I agree that you should let them be now, I usually do mine before planting, any end it does not matter.

Silvia

o

Will do, thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here