Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marielizabeth_gw

Mystery munching

marielizabeth
10 years ago

New to posting to the forums here but I've been reading for a while. I did some serious gardening on a small organic farm in middle TN the last few years, but I've recently moved back to FL & have a small garden going in the backyard. I knew my main challenge was going to be bug related (we definitely had bugs in TN but FL is just crazy), but I'm really stumped on this one. Something is eating a variety of the plants I have out right now. The munching does seem to be restricted to seedlings in most cases. The current affected plants are beans & okra (although I did have a similar problem with lettuce seedlings a while back, it just didn't do as much harm & they mostly grew out of it). There are little holes all over the leaves, but whenever I check I find no sign of a culprit. I've been checking all times of the day & night - no sign of any slugs, or really anything else for that matter. The only active "bug" I see are pillbugs, but I've always read/heard that they mostly feed on decaying matter (I did pull the mulch back from the stems pretty far just in case). The beans are getting pretty big & are still being chewed on, & the okra is clearly suffering. Anyone have any ideas? Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. If it's helpful, I'm technically in Zone 9B but really close to 10, coastal. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)