Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kumquat1_gw

Green Beans for our hot weather...

kumquat1
12 years ago

First year ever, last year, my rattlesnake beans didn't do diddly. Almost no blooms, and no beans. Feed store lady said weather too hot. Do you guys know which green bean would do well in this heat

Comments (6)

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My rattlesnakes, and all my beans, had been doing really well the last couple months. I think they still are but I don't know how much longer that will last.

Unfortunately I'm still new to Florida(this will be my second summer) and pretty new to gardening. I'm sorry I can't offer a meaningful suggestion.
    This was taken March 29th, I was getting sick of green beans by this time. Beans seemed to be just about the only thing I could grow. :)

{{gwi:851090}}

(Click to view full-sized)

RE: Green Beans for our hot weather...

Try yardlong beans. If you pick them before they thicken you can snap and eat them like snap beans. Though they are in the cowpea family, so they are a great summer bean for here.

~dianne

• Posted by: tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:36

Here's the UF link, I liked it better when they had them broken down into Cool and Warm season crops but everything changes doesn't it :-( Look and the selections for "Peas, Southern" and the planting times for your Zone. I like green field peas and have some Zipper Cream I would love to start now but even though I'm in Pinellas I'm in a Zone 10 Southern microclimate being right off the water so it's too soon for me to plant now, I'll wait until at least August.

Tom

Did you ever find a pole bean you liked? I gave up... I've tried a yellow wax runner, blue lake and kentucky wonder this year to no avail. I got some short 4" pods from the blue lake and a few random stunted pods from the wax and kentucky wonder curled in to a "C". I gave up and bought bush beans...and they flourished! Truth be told they cannot even come close to the pole beans for harvest I guess I just got lucky last year with the blue lake and a cooler than average late summer. I planted Dragon's tongue and Red swan bush beans from seed saver exchange and both are doing fantastic.

Rattlesnake is the only pole bean I grow - nothing else tastes better IMO. Results can vary due to soil/nutrition, I believe. I move the plantings around every year & some do better than others. Mine are finally over - harvested the last stragglers yesterday.

FWIW, years ago, I grew a variety called Louisiana Purple Pod that did great, but it vanished from the seed catalogs & I haven't seen it since.

• Posted by: tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 19:41

FWIW, years ago, I grew a variety called Louisiana Purple Pod that did great, but it vanished from the seed catalogs & I haven't seen it since.

I grew it last year, still available, and many other purples in a quest to see if any would surpass Purple Podded Pole but none did, for me PPP has been much more prolific and just as tasty...they grow so fast you have to be diligent about picking them early and every day :-) :-(

Tom

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.
    Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Try yardlong beans. If you pick them before they thicken you can snap and eat them like snap beans. Though they are in the cowpea family, so they are a great summer bean for here.

~dianne

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Here's the UF link, I liked it better when they had them broken down into Cool and Warm season crops but everything changes doesn't it :-( Look and the selections for "Peas, Southern" and the planting times for your Zone. I like green field peas and have some Zipper Cream I would love to start now but even though I'm in Pinellas I'm in a Zone 10 Southern microclimate being right off the water so it's too soon for me to plant now, I'll wait until at least August.

Tom

• Indigosands
    11 years ago

Did you ever find a pole bean you liked? I gave up... I've tried a yellow wax runner, blue lake and kentucky wonder this year to no avail. I got some short 4" pods from the blue lake and a few random stunted pods from the wax and kentucky wonder curled in to a "C". I gave up and bought bush beans...and they flourished! Truth be told they cannot even come close to the pole beans for harvest I guess I just got lucky last year with the blue lake and a cooler than average late summer. I planted Dragon's tongue and Red swan bush beans from seed saver exchange and both are doing fantastic.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Rattlesnake is the only pole bean I grow - nothing else tastes better IMO. Results can vary due to soil/nutrition, I believe. I move the plantings around every year & some do better than others. Mine are finally over - harvested the last stragglers yesterday.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I grew it last year, still available, and many other purples in a quest to see if any would surpass Purple Podded Pole but none did, for me PPP has been much more prolific and just as tasty...they grow so fast you have to be diligent about picking them early and every day :-) :-(

Tom