Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How close can I plant oleander to my septic drain field?

Posted by slopfrog none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:17

There's a spot in my yard where an oleander would be just perfect, but its only about ten feet away from the end of my septic drain field. How close is too close with an oleander? (Not a dwarf.). Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How close can I plant oleander to my septic drain field?

How Close To Plant Oleander To Septic Tank
by: Kimberly

Hi, Kimberly here from landscape solutions for you. Thank you for asking the question on your Oleander. This is a great question that has been asked before.

Oleander is a sub-tropical to tropical plant that needs good drainage and a fair amount of sunlight. The roots will spread, but can be suited for border shrubs and foundations. As far as being planted close to your septic tank and leach field. I would recommend plant the Oleander about five to ten feet away from both if possible. This is a safety measure to make sure your Oleander grows healthy.

The Oleander is a beautiful plant specimen but poisonous to humans and animals. One should never burn Oleander branches, as they are toxic.

If you have the space, go ahead and plant Oleander five to ten feet away. You can add some organic mushroom compost to the soil. This is a wonderful organic fertilizer that will last up to one year.

The best of luck to you and let us know how your Oleander does. You can also plant Oleander, depending on the variety, in a container.

Thanks again for asking the question and feel free to ask anytime. Have a great day!
Kimberly

o
RE: How close can I plant oleander to my septic drain field?

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here