Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this a giant squirrel?

Posted by fagopher (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 21:18

Hi All,

I was outside and found this animal... It looked very much like a squirrel but it was really big.. .I took some pictures but it was in a tall pine tree, so not very good ones..
Anyway:

Thanks in advance for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this a giant squirrel?

Certainly a rather large squirrel, yes.

o

Yes - Squirrel on Steroids...

o

I can pretty much tell by the yellow butt already, but did that squirrel have a black mask? If so, that is a Fox Squirrel.I couldn't get a good view of the face in those pictures. They ARE a lot bigger, and you don't see that many of them any more. They even move differently. If you sw it while it was still on the ground you would see it hop along flowing up and down with that long yellow and black tail fluttering like a dear tail when they run.

o

Where are you located? It may be, as cycadjungle indicated, a Sherman's Fox Squirrel. We saw a group of them this weekend in Indiantown. They are very ugly! My husband jammed on the brakes of his truck and said "what the H*** is that???

They look like very large, scruffy, longish-haired Monkey-faced Squirrels. Masks on the faces, markings can be dark or white. Colors range from tan to black. They move more slowly than Grey Squirrels, and are on the ground more.

Not at all cute.

Lisa

o

Definitely not as cute as my lil squirrels living in my trees....LOL Sorry!!

o

OMG, I think Sherman's fox squirrels are just incredibly beautiful! I love their black masks, when they have them, but they are variable in color. I've seen red ones, silvery ones and grey with the black mask. They are so much larger than our "regular" grey squirrels that they "lope" instead of scamper. On the ground, they move more like an otter.

I was thrilled to find one living at our local golf course, and enjoyed seeing him every time I drove by, but he disappeared a year or so ago, and I haven't seen him since.

To me, they are fantastic and so pretty! Lisa, maybe the ones you saw weren't healthy. They are considered really beautiful by most folks I know. And yes, they are becoming very scarce in most of Florida, so if you have them in your area, you are quite lucky.

Here are a couple pics for you to compare:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Marcia

o

Looks like a Fox Squirrel to me too! They disappeared from my area when land clearing began for big fancy development nearby. They are magnificent animals!

o

Another sad testament to human encroachment. I can remember seeing plenty of fox squirrels many years ago in the outskirts of Orlando, especially where there were plentiful pine trees. But I haven't seen one since I can't remember when. So beautiful! It's a delight to know that there are still pockets of populations here and there in Florida.

o

I agree with manature and wildworldwoman...beautiful animals, and unfortunately, disappearing rapidly with the loss of habitat.

o

I think we had one in our neighborhood up until a couple years ago, but he was struck by a car. I was so sad to lose him because I loved the way he moved. He was so distinctive and had markings kind of like a Husky dog. Very large too. I was always sure he was a fox squirrel but now that I've looked at your pictures I'm not as certain. He had slightly tufted ears. Or maybe they were just more pointy than the ones in the photos.

o

I have not seen one before, but how amazing! I'm so sad to hear they are disappearing.

Cathy

o

I was saying to my neighbor how a northern squirrel could kick butt against a FLA squirrel and he told me about the fox squirrels. I thought he was pulling my leg! Thanks for the pics!

Julie

o

I love fox squirrels! I don't have them here, but I did in SC, and watching them bounce around the yard was so funny!

I think this time of year, they're scruffy because they're losing their winter fur.

o

The ones we saw were on a large game preserve. They must have been ill, or shedding, since their long coats looked very rough, patchy and moth-eaten. They did not look handsome like the ones pictured above. Good to know that some of them are attractive(G).

Lisa

o

Solstice, if it was definitely a squirrel and it was lots bigger than the grey squirrel, it was almost surely a fox squirrel. They are the only native Florida squirrel besides the grey squirrel and the tiny, nocturnal flying squirrel. They are extremely variable in color and markings, though, and I have seen them with their winter coats that showed tufts on their ears.

If I could have fox squirrels in my yard, I would put out feeders just for them. I would do just about ANYTHING to enjoy the sight of them, loping around, with that LONG, LONG tail trailing behind them. The tail is as nearly as long as a grey squirrel all by itself.

Here are a couple more photos just to show you the variation in color.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here is a link with loads of interesting info on them. I was really surprised at their dietary habits!

Fagopher, you sure have some interesting creatures and plants around your house! What a great introduction to Florida living!

Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful: Fox Squirrel Info

o
By The Way...

The Sherman's fox squirrel is currently listed as a species of special concern, since loss of habitat is taking a terrible toll on them. I know the one on our local golf course was the first one I had seen in years and years.

Marcia

o

Marcia, the funniest thing about that last picture was the can of Diamond walnuts! I giggled. Now I have to go back to making Italian bread. Thanks for the break! I would even like one of these big guys in my garden, but they might become addicted to daylily buds. I have too!

P.S. No pines here on the island, but gobs of cabbage palms and sand oaks plus live oaks.

o

Sad to hear they're disappearing, along with so many other wonderful fauna and flora.
I've never seen one.
BTW, How do they taste? Any better 'n bald eagle? :)

o

Treefrog...picture a stew made with day-old roadkill bald eagle, and I'd say you've got it!

*snort*

Marcia

(NOOOO, folks...I've never eaten EITHER of those, so don't get upset!)

o

Me either!

o

We still have a few fox squirrels down the road a little, but only a few as compared to about a dozen just 10 years ago. Ours are more of the yellow with a little black on top. The ones we have are beautiful. Some of my favorite locals, along with split tail kites and sand hill cranes. A mile from my place there is a 20 acre tract where a pair of SHCs have two fuzzy orange babies right now. They will stay there all season and we get to see them almost every day.

o

Thanks for the extra pictures! Mine looked like the 2nd picture - the cute gray guy - but with darker ears and a buff colored tummy. Very handsome.

o

I just saw a fox squirrel this weekend in Palm City, in western Martin County. Never saw one before, coming from Broward County. My first reaction was "a squirrel with the face of a monkey? Can't be!" You just solved the mystery.

o

Thanks for all your responses. My wife and I had the same reaction as palmcityfl, it looked like a "squirrel with the face of a monkey"

Fabio

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here