Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID these flowers?

Posted by susieqsie 9 Winter Springs, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 21:24

Hi y'all. I've been getting some yard-work jobs and seeing plants growing that I'm not familiar with. Of course, the owners don't have a clue, either, but I'd like to be able to help them decide if they should keep the plants or chuck them for something better.

Here's one scraggly ol' plant with purple fringe-y flowers that we need to ID.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID these flowers?

And this one is like a vine

o

And this is a close-up of the flowers in pic #2.

Your help is really appreciated!

~Susie

o

Your vine looks like a mexican flame vine.

o

Thanks, Betsy - I think you're right.
I looked up the Mexican Flame Vine and this sure looks like the pictures.

I'm glad you stopped by to help me out.

~Susie

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 6:52

I agree the vine is Mex. Flame vine. For me it grows well in the winter, but in the summer it seems to have problems with the heat and humidity. I cut it back hard then and let it come back.

I just can't think of the name of the purple flower at the moment. It is short lived here in the summer.

o

I have the blue flower and I, too, forget the name. Blue mist?
It gets raggity but just cut it back to the ground and it will come back full. It survives cold and heat and drought, so I like it. Mine are just starting the spring flush and look good. Worth saving or moving somewhere - it does like sun.
Hester

o

Your first picture looks very much Centratherum punctatum or Manaos Beauty. Hope that helps.

o

Yay, Marly and thanks for the ID! It shore does look like Manaos Beauty.

And how great that it is a butterfly attractor. And I learned something new today and can go share that info with the lady I'm taking care of her garden.

Thanks again everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here