Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daviedearest

care for amaylis after bloom s.w. fla outdoors

Davie Robinson
11 years ago

I've read If you cut flower off & wait 'til stem wilts and cut stem down 1-2" above bulb it will rebloom. my concern is will I create nothing more then a large straw that will allow our rains to reach the bulb & cause rot?
Anyone have experience with these bulbs?

Comments (7)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I've had several of them. You should wait for them to quit blooming and let the stem die off. I always cut mine flush with the bulb. I don't know why they cut it 1-2 inches above the bulb. I kept it watered and fertilized. Mine would bloom every year.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    These have been very frustrating for me in zone 10 While I get good growth even multiplying they seldom flower. Interestingly I can cut them off in Jan pot them up and get reliable flowers .lol i always suspected they needed at least a cool dry rest yet, this year i do have some flowers in spite of the warmer winter.lol
    Another thought was that these are the "fflorist "type as i have neighbors who have beds of them and flower beautifully. BUT I think they are Hippeatrum and not Amaryllis
    Anyway that's been my experience with them growing no problem flowering BIG problem lol gary

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Amaryllis is the common name - Hippeastrum is the botanical name = same plant.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Gary, they have to have half the bulb out of the ground to bloom. But they have roots that will pull them down into the ground. I was told by a grower to place a piece of tile under the bulb in the ground to make the roots grow side ways instead of straight down. If this won't work for you, take a shovel and lift the bulbs. I do this most years.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Kay
    There are over 350 species of Amaryllis /hippeastrum and 600 hybrids lol Most of what are for sale are multiple hybrids
    katkin I don't grow them in the ground due to such poor soil.. The so called butterfly hybrids based on papilio, flower reliably same for blood lily, spekelia , The 'florist types are the problem They grow, multiply even go dormant but instead of flowering before new growth they just start growing again. BUT if repotted will flower
    Interestingly this year got flowers anyway lol
    haven't been working with them due to redoing whole planting area . Will probably just eliminate those that don't work Itching to try some of those fantastic S. African species .. Thanks everybody!!! gary

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I guess my soil was better then most when I started, but after 17 years of mulch rotting it is pretty decent. So I grow most everything in the ground. I haven't seen the S. African ones yet, but I know I'd be interested in them. I just have to fight with the lubbers to keep them from having a feast. :o)

• cocoabeachlorax
    11 years ago

Are they getting enough light ? Mine that are planted in too much shade wont bloom; I just enjoy them for the foliage. Those that get sufficient sun bloom reliably with little or no fuss.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting