Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volunteer Papaya

Posted by gardengimp 9B Seminole Cnty FL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 21:43

Keep it, move it or loose it?

I experimented with a 'hot bed' this winter in one of my two full sun beds. I don't know if it was the hot bed the mild winter or a combination of both, but I had tomatoes from it all winter.

Then a few weeks ago this bonus plant popped up. I'm fairly positive it is papaya. I'm also pretty darn positive that I don't want a papaya tree blocking one of my only two [small] full sun gardens come fall. I don't even know if I like papaya, I didn't much care for the fruit attached to this seed that came home from the grocer with me. But I've learned to value giving fresh picked a valid chance.

So, what think you'all? Do I move it or loose it? If I move it, it will not get full sun, and I only have the one of it.

From what I read on IFAS about growing Papaya, it seems a crap shoot that I would get any fruit from what may or may not be the right sex.

TIA,

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaya Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volunteer Papaya

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 5:58

Moving Papaya's is tricky so do it now when it is small. Most papaya's Grown commercially will produce more hermaphrodite plants so you have a good chance of getting fruit. All papaya have that funny taste its the papaya enzyme. If that is your complaint it will still be there but a fresh home grown fruit should be sweeter if its grown in good soil and allowed to ripen longer on the tree. They will produce in partial shade. If you want papaya I would plant a Red Lady They are sweet and have less of that funny taste.
Enjoy

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 7:23

Hi Dianne

If you don't care for the taste of the papaya and prefer to use the space to grow something else, take the papaya asap because they will not only shade your spot, they have monster roots, you really need a lot of space for it. That is the reason that I have mine in a pot and is been fruiting since last year. Papaya taste in my opinion improve when you add some citrus, from juices lemon or lime, or I like to add them cut very small in a fruit salad with oranges and pineapples.
And you will also have the question, will it fruit? is it male or female or the other? most papayas grown these days are hybrids including the red lady.

Silvia

o

A plant that size should be pretty easy to pull up, IMPE.

o

IF you don't like Papaya, Dianne, then I say yank it out. Real estate is too precious!

o

On the other hand, a good source of potassium and Vitamins A and C, A healthy fruit

o

I don't know if I do or don't like good fresh papaya. I do know I didn't want one taking up valuable in ground full sun real-estate. Not much of that to go around under all these oak trees.

I pulled it. It came out real easy. Only a few weeks old and already had RNK. Surprised me since this was loaded up as a hot bed in November. I need to make it a point to ask to taste some Red Lady Papaya next time I'm over to Willie's and Silvia's.

Thanks all,

~dianne

o

Dianne, does RNK = Root Knot Nematode (RKN)?

Thanks,
Carol in Jacksonville

o

DRR - I fail at short cut typing. Go figure. Yup, them pesty dang critters in the roots. RKN. I'll just go practice that key combination now .....

~dianne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here