Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Rain Barrels

shear_stupidity
10 years ago

Found these on craigslist in Titusville. Gonna go get two for myself.

Thought some people on here might be interested in some?

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/grd/3763232623.html

Comments (17)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Try to get the white ones. I've been told the white ones are less likely to grow algae in them. I don't know if this only counts if you leave them painted white, but I painted mine a tan color and they still don't have algae. That said, you will also want to paint and polyurethane your barrels. An unprotected barrel under our Florida sun will turn rather brittle in a short couple of years.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Kind of pricey..here you can buy the blue barrels for $10 each.

10 years ago

It's all about location. Here 'locally' I can find them from $15-25, but usually it's $25. And by locally I mean that Craigslist lists Ocala as local to me. In places where there are bottling companies, you can pretty much pick them up for free. I've tried emailing Cutrale down in Leesburg to see if they end up with stockpiles, but they never responded to my inquiries. At $10 a barrel, a trip out to Inverness might be worth it to me to make the trip, but I would have to borrow a trailer and pick up several barrels in one shot. Otherwise, after adding in gas, it would be no cheaper than going to Ocala.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, we don't have a truck... or access to one. We'd have to RENT one.
    Found another CL posting near here with the blue barrels for $20.

Now I don't know WHAT to do!

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Leekle,

The scrap yard here always has them for the $10..he generally has 50-100 of them at any given time. I bet Lou has bought 30 of them in the past year:) I have bought a few also. In my PU 5 fit at once.

10 years ago

If I pulled the speaker box out of my Jimmy (It's not a huge box, but it is in the way... hey... I like hearing ALL of my music!) I could probably stuff 3 in there. 3 for $30 + say $15 in gas still comes up less than $75. So perhaps I'll make a trip down that way in June and get a few. With the speaker box in it, I might be able to stuff 2 barrels in the Jimmy, but I don't think the savings would be quite worth it then.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Bamboo_rabbit, could you please let me know how to find the scrap yard you were referring to in your post. I would like to go and get a couple for myself.

Thank you,
    Helen

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Helen,

It is the junkyard on 41 as you are heading from Inverness toward Floral city. It is just before Gobbler on the left and has what looks like a ICBM missile out front. They are only open on Thursday Friday and Saturday and I think during the summer just Friday and Saturday like 10-2? The place has been there for decades.

If the place has a name I don't know it:)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Google street view (see link below).

Carol in Jax

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Street View

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

Bamboo, Just the barrels for my 60 plus blueberry plants would come out to more than 30 barrels when cut in two, not counting all the barrels I'm using for my orchard trees and whatever else I use them for. Seems each year I put in another dozen blueberry plants and a few more fruit trees. Those barrels are the most handy large size pots when cut in two for anything you want to grow stuff in. When sunk in the ground the barrel lip a couple inches above ground keeps the grass from encroaching.

Lou

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Anyone with experience painting these plastic barrels, what preparation is necessary? Type of paint? Is the paint long lasting?

10 years ago

I will say this:

Do not use latex paint on them. I got my rain barrel from a 'Paint your own' event where they had latex house paint for us to use. After about a month it was peeling off in sheets. Now, they did not have primer for us to use so maybe if the barrel was properly primed first it might stick better, but I won't be trying it any time soon.

After peeling all the paint off, I got a couple cans of primer and some cans of 'stone texture' enamel paint. I then top coated it with a spray polyeurathane to help protect it from UV rays.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Thank you Bamboo!
    Carol you are amazing! Even the street view! Thank you ! Can not see barrels from the street view LOL

Helen

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Helen, you make me laugh. I'm full of worthless talents - glad that helped. I thought that was a blue barrel just to the right of the large tree in front - but maybe not? I am not sure.

(How are your begonias? I haven't seen you post in the Begonia Forum in awhile but if i remember, you are an expert. I have a few new ones: Miss Julie, Undulata and Coccinea 'White'.)

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Thu, May 2, 13 at 14:24

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Helen,

Glad to help:)

Carol,

Good eye that is indeed a blue barrel in the picture. He keeps a couple out by the road to let people know he has them. Most of the barrels are stacked up right where you check in, to the left.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Carol, Thank you! I am so far from been an expert in anything LOL killed 2 this year LOL cannot get how to grow a rhizomatous one. The cane ones are growing. I am trying some cutting in the ground this year.
    Those are just gorgeous varieties you got! I especially like Miss Julie.You will enjoy its bloom.
    Carol, very, very busy, no time at all between work, garden and life, but still trying to check the forum. It gives me joy and relaxation.
    Found rain barrels just a mile from my house but the cost is $25.00, will be checking Saturday AM, will see.
    Helen

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

He used to have a good stack of the blue barrels near the tree out front as advertisement that he had barrels, but I took most of them because the other stack of barrels on the side of the shed was blocked by the workers moving junk around that day. I think I made two or three trips and cleaned out the front barrels.

Lou