Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claptrap_gw

Moving to Fort Myers! What should I grow? :D

ClapTrap
11 years ago

Hey soon-to-be fellow Floridians! I'm moving from Georgia to Fort Myers, and I can't wait to get started growing amazing tropical fruit.

I've been reading up on some iconic tropical fruits, and I was surprised to see that they didn't necessarily just drop fruit year-round. So tell me, what are some plants that will give a steady, reliable fruit week after week year-round in Southwest Florida?

Comments (6)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    My advice would be to get established in your house first.
    Attend some of the meetings of the various fruit clubs . This will help you decide what you want to grow and which particular cultivar is right for you.
    Many of these plants get quite large,need special care and worst of all you may not like the taste lol
    Sorry to be the one to tell you but not everything grows well in florida . There are climate, disease ,problems just like the rest of the earth lol good luck gary

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    11 years ago

Can't say for S-Fl, but for central Fl, I can't think of any thing that bears fruit week after week year-round (well maybe papaya). Everything I have has a season. Eating fresh home grown mangoes (or citrus, or lychee, or dragon fruit, etc..) year round just doesn't happen

Ditto the fruit club idea, ours has a "tasting table" at the meetings (probably most do) so you get a chance to taste alot of variety. Those are the people who know what will grow in your local.

Keep your eyes open around the new neighborhood, see what others near you have growing.

DM

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I don't think much of anything will give constant year-round fruit. Almost everything has its season. The trick might be finding various types that have over-lapping seasons.

Along with garden clubs, might I suggest checking in with the local County Extension Office of UF? Surely someone from their Agricultural division could help you figure it out.

And I'm sorry I called you Shirley.

• ClapTrap
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks people! I'll get in touch with some locals down there after I'm settled in and find out what everyone else is doing.

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

I was just down in Fort Meyers last week and went to the Ford/Edison museum and gardens and found them very impressive! While most of the plants were ornamental they did have a number of huge mango trees. It is definetly a good place to visit.

Kara

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 years ago

Move to Ft. Myers in 2005. You'll want to do some research before you plant any fruit trees.

Lots of my neighbors planted orange & grapefruit trees when they first arrived and now complain about having to treat them to keep away sooty mold and all types of fungus that damage the trees. Then there's the raccoons and rats they attract to your home. If the tree is too close to your house, you'll end up with fruit rats in your attic.

In addition, many homeowner associations down here prohibit planting any type of fruit trees because they're such a nuisance. Very susceptible to going down in hurricane winds because they are top heavy.

Finally, I have to say that I've never tasted fruit off someone's back yard tree that I thought tasted very good down here. Good fruit trees take work.

Some day i'll relate the story about my $100 cherry tomato plant.