Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mocropot

May be a weird questionâ¦.

mocropot
10 years ago

â¦but I still would like to ask your opinion. I would like to install a pergola for my hanging orchids and plants. It is a DIY kit and the wood is factory stained , treated and preserved pine. Will the chemicals in the wood (stained and treated ) hurt the orchids when it rains ?

Thank you,
Helen

Comments (14)

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I don't think the stain will hurt the orchids, but I think the wood will deteriorate quickly in Florida. Ask me how I know??

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    would have to agree with Jane on this . MUCH better choice of materials is is extruded aluminum or formed vinyl I have vinyl lattice going on 30 years old and has not even faded !!! Does cost more but well worth it .IMO
    gary

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Treated Pine will last a long time if you maintain it. Even if you let it go gray and weathered it should still last 10+ years (assuming no storms tear it up).

• mocropot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the respond. What about cedar?
    So, your opinion chemicals that were used to treat the wood will not her my orchids? correct?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I think any kind of wood is going to have a limited life-span here. Personally, aluminum or vinyl will never beat the look of wood, but I think the heat and humidity fluctuations here will make most any type of wood eventually give in to the elements without a 'strong' maintenance program. An option that some people go with is to build the structure out of aluminum and then 'skin' that in their wood of choice (often cedar for pest resistance). That way you get both the look of wood and the strength of aluminum. It's an added cost but in the long run it might be worth it. I'm not really sure which direction I'm going to go in when I build my pergola.

As for the orchids, I can not comment. I have no experience with those.

But this proves that there are no weird questions here. It's always good to get the insight of those who have lived here longer and witnessed more.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Aluminum can be painted any color, including brown, to imitate wood, but yes, our constant moist air will rot wood in a couple of years. Like another responder - ask me how I know!

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

You could also use marine grade presure treated wood. That is what they use for sea walls and docks.

• mocropot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the wealth of information. Now I have 2 problems to solve: which direction to go and still need to know will the chemicals hurt the orchids if any treated wood is used? I really like the dark wood look and especially with blooming orchids around the structure, but if it kills the orchids I would rather live without a pretty look. Decisions, decisions, decisionsâ¦â¦I think all the gardeners have it LOL

• starryrider
    10 years ago

Most wood is treated now with copper so I think the orchids will be fine.

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    10 years ago

My hubby built my orchid pergola out of pressure treated lumber in 2004 (after H. Charley destroyed my old pergola). It is covered on the top and the sunny side with shade cloth. He seals the wood with Thompsons Waterproofing every year and the wood looks brand new every year. I have not had any orchid problems with the wood or the waterproofing. I do have to move the orchids and wait for everything to dry completely. I have plastic panels that completely enclose the pergola on chilly nights. We had quite the workout this year putting them up and taking them down over and over again.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that there is treated and pressure treated lumber. Treated wood is just dipped and won't last long in our weather. Pressure treated will usually last a very long time. (I've had a couple pressure treated posts rot out.)

• mocropot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everybody for all your kind responses and advices. It is very helpful!

• early_bird_2007
    10 years ago

No, it will not hurt your orchids. In fact I saw their roots happily attaching to treated wood. I would suggest buying pressure treated lumber, leting it dry in a shade for at least few weeks and treat with Thompson's

• slopfrog
    10 years ago

When you select the lumber, choose the heaviest specimens there. My experience is that the real light ones didn't absorb much chemical and won't last as long.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA